Got my butt kicket by GFs Civic - Donald called it

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I quote;

Originally Posted By: Donald
Also we should tell (warn) that doing your GF's vehciles brakes may or may not be a wise move. You of course will get blamed for anything that goes wrong, even 10K miles from now.
Are you prepared to replace caliper? The piston might not go back in properly or you snap the bleeder screw.

A brake job can get costly quickly when calipers need to be replaced.

Well, supposed to be a simple brake job, so the drivers side was textbook perfect. No issue at all.

0nlqTF.jpg

So on to the passenger side. Right when I started cracking the lug nuts, they all didn't feel tight. Real galled feeling. Got them all off but one, which backed out a few turns and then that's all she wrote. I worked it for about 20 minutes back and forth, but it wasn't happening. Was able to drive the car to Midas and they were able to break the stud off.

Went to the dealer for a stud and lug nut, but I guess the studs aren't something that can be done in the driveway. Pressed in bearing/hub.

lXZlfy.jpg

At least we still have a few threads that the lug was able to catch. Some were buggered up, I cleaned the threads and used a small amount of anti seize on the rest as they felt real bad.

All in all, the car is drivable, but not sure what the next step is. She may take it back to the other Midas that took her wheels off a couple of weeks ago (impact of course) and see if they can replace the stud.

I think this is the last time I do work on anyones car...

I was expecting to hear a story about you racing your Gf's Civic and your fox body Mustang got left in the dust.... lol

Don't worry about the problems with the Brakes. That's bound to happen. I'm surprised you didn't have issues with those little screws that hold the rotor onto the hub.

Regards, JC.

Just remember, she still hasn't driven the requisite 10K miles either.

That is unfortunate; especially if the belief is propagated that a professional wouldn't have had that issue (which is untrue)

OT:I've had to drill and tap those stupid countersunk machines screws the last Honda brake job I did.

Last edited:
I did my kid's Civic brakes but started out with new rotors and calipers knowing the coming perils. I also hit all the fasteners with PB Blaster the week before so I has zero issues. Got the refurbished calipers and new rotors from AAP on line.

She should probably be blaming whomever had the RF wheel off last.
Sounds like a clear case of cross-threaded lug nuts gunned on.
One of those things that happens once in a great while.

Originally Posted By: JC1
I was expecting to hear a story about you racing your Gf's Civic and your fox body Mustang got left in the dust.... lol

Don't worry about the problems with the Brakes. That's bound to happen. I'm surprised you didn't have issues with those little screws that hold the rotor onto the hub.

Regards, JC.

Those screws came out perfect with a #3 Phillips. I had purchased 2 new ones at the dealer (parts guy said theirs only 1 per rotor.. there were two- so each side got a new one and an old one.

The way she drives, she could probably take the Mustang..

I had the exact same problem in my CRV. Unfortunately I snapped a stud off when a seized lug nut would not come off. I easily pounded out the old stud and because part of it snapped of with the lug nut it was shorter and had room to come out. The new stud was of course longer and would not go in as the hub was in the way. I ground off a small portion of the new stud head and was able to sneak the stud past the hub assembly. The new knurls are all in place and the stud appears fine. 10 seconds on a grinder and all is well. You or the shop may want to grind the stud head a little bit.

Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger

Regards, JC.

Those screws came out perfect with a #3 Phillips. I had purchased 2 new ones at the dealer (parts guy said theirs only 1 per rotor.. there were two- so each side got a new one and an old one.

You actually went through the effort of buying new screws? Dude, WHY? Whenever I encounter those screws, I purposely DON'T reinstall them. They don't serve any purpose once the car leaves the factory, and they're often a pain to remove when servicing the brakes. It's a lot easier to just leave them off so I don't have to deal with removing rusted screws.

I dunno... I figured it was like that from the factory, so keep it the same. They were only a buck each. The came out effortlessly, and I just put them in snug.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger

Regards, JC.

You actually went through the effort of buying new screws? Dude, WHY? Whenever I encounter those screws, I purposely DON'T reinstall them. They don't serve any purpose once the car leaves the factory, and they're often a pain to remove when servicing the brakes. It's a lot easier to just leave them off so I don't have to deal with removing rusted screws.

LOL, it's cause he's in CA and has never seen a rotor screw permanently rust itself to the rotor! It came off with no effort. I miss living out west...

Last edited:
When I had the Kitacamry's front pads replaced last month, first in 10 years, I had the indie mechanic replace all the bits and bolts....not something the Toyo dealer would do...feel much safer now.

I think it was nice of you to work on her car for you. I saved mine around $400 (per the dealer) by replacing her brakes and rotors on her Volvo. The only technical difficulty was I ordered the rotors for the larger wheels.. Easy fix. AAP had the correct rotors in stock.

Not sure how your relationship is, but if she's level headed, she wont blame you for issues down the road. That [censored] [censored] lug nut wasn't your fault, but you took the hit for her. Its better you fixed it than Midas just cranking up the PSI on the air wrench a bit to get it off and back on again..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back