Got another TDI, Cup Edition this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought another TDI Jetta yesterday. This one will be for my fiance to drive. Its a 2010 TDI Cup Edition. Sharp looking and fun to drive. 30k miles on it.

The TDI Cup Editions are based on the TDI Cup series race cars. They come with GLI Brakes, Suspension and sway bars as well as 18" wheels. The "Thunderbunny" body kit is optional and this one has it, its only available on the cup cars. They only come with the Interlagos cloth seats which are heated. Only this and the GLI come with cloth, all of the rest come with leatherette or leather. This one has a manual 6 speed trans and for the cup edition they put in a short shift kit. Other than that its mostly just other cosmetic stuff like carbon fiber inserts inside, the rocker sticker, aluminum pedals, aluminum door sill plates with "TDI Cup" in them and so on.

They really dont get much of a premium over the standard ones which seems odd considering only 1500 or so were built. They are a hot topic though as is any TDI Jetta, I called as soon as I saw the listing and they wouldn't let me put money down to hold it due to the amount of calls, so I rescheduled some things and made the trip. As I was sitting in the dealer I overheard at least 2 or 3 other people calling in that were interested in it.

It definatley has a stiffer ride to it, but man is it fun in the corners. Purs along at 2000rpm doing 75mph. Should save on fuel quite a bit and since diesel is the same price as gas now its even more attractive.

I drive a 2000 Jetta TDI with a 5spd, 270,000 miles on it now. My sister drives an 06 Jetta TDI with the DSG, 160,000 on that one. Dad drives an Audi A6, too bad they dont have a diesel version of that one. Love the German cars.

Last edited:
Beautiful car.

I've always wanted to ask: Are those low profile tires really uncomfortable over pot holes, rough rail road tracks, etc.?

I couldn't imagine not bending the wheels on Michigan's crater like roads:
mansfield.jpg

Thanks

I think its a combination of the tires and suspension but yes you do feel far more bumps than in the others. Im comparing it to my sisters 06 TDI which has the nice leather seats and regular 16" wheels. We took that one to get it, I noticed a stiffer ride on the way home that what it was in her car, however when I would fly into a corner or whip a fast U turn it stuck to the road like no other with minimal body roll, much nicer than the standard ones.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Its the rims and tires. No rubber to absorb shock. But with no sidewall, will handle incredibly I bet.

My Dads A6 has 245/40R18s on it and the TDI Cup cars have 225/40R18s. His cars ride is obviously much better, but it is a larger touring car, my point is somewhat that I feel the suspension may contribute to it as well not just the tires even though i do feel they have an effect, if it was just them I would think his car would ride much worse.

Modern VW diesel cars are nothing short of amazing, especially when you consider value for the money.

The reliability of all VWs today with a couple of exceptions Touareg and Routan (nee Chrysler T&C) is on par with the best of the Japanese.

That being said I still miss the old school early water cooled cars like the old MK I and MK II Golf/Rabbit, Jetta, and Scirocco ...They were amazingly fun to drive some of the very best steering and handling ever. inexpensive to buy and own, and cheap to maintain.

Originally Posted By: durallymax

My Dads A6 has 245/40R18s on it and the TDI Cup cars have 225/40R18s. His cars ride is obviously much better, but it is a larger touring car, my point is somewhat that I feel the suspension may contribute to it as well not just the tires even though i do feel they have an effect, if it was just them I would think his car would ride much worse.

This doesn't really make sense. His tires should have a larger sidewall so based solely on tires I would still expect his car to be much smoother with the TDI having sportier, firmer handling.

EDIT: Forgot to say nice car! That diesel should last forever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: glock19
Originally Posted By: durallymax

This doesn't really make sense. His tires should have a larger sidewall so based solely on tires I would still expect his car to be much smoother with the TDI having sportier, firmer handling.

EDIT: Forgot to say nice car! That diesel should last forever.

Yeah I didn't think when I typed that, his sidewalls should be around 10% larger.

We have 1k on it now, 46mpg by hand.

Only complaint is how sluggish the radio is when scrolling through music on my iPod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back