Got A Surprise in the Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Someone explain the appeal of fliet mignon to me, please.

They are very tender piece of meat and you usually see them wrapped in bacon around here to add some flavor since they have no fat and very little marbling if any. My dad was a butcher so I grew up eating aged steaks which most people would take one look at and say "no thanks".

Originally Posted by Duffyjr

They are very tender piece of meat and you usually see them wrapped in bacon around here to add some flavor since they have no fat and very little marbling if any. My dad was a butcher so I grew up eating aged steaks which most people would take one look at and say "no thanks".

I have had filet mignon. It tasted like...nothing. No flavor at all, like eating cardboard.

I have had filet mignon. It tasted like...nothing. No flavor at all, like eating cardboard.

Filet is best marinated. I marinate mine by using a dry rub of garlic salt, Montreal steak seasoning, some mesquite powder. Then I put vinegar on them with chopped Vidalia onions. I do this a day or 2 before I grill them.

My plan for these is do them in a Sous Vide first, sear the outside and serve em up with Bleu Cheese melting on top.

Spasms recipe sounds good too.

I'm only guessing here but I bet it was grass fed. I've had them many different ways but the best is to wrap them in bacon and broil them in your oven, that way you can pour the drippings on them.

If you didn't add any seasoning then yes it probably didn't taste as good as say a New Yorker (my fav), Rib Eye or T-Bone.

I'm only guessing here but I bet it was grass fed. I've had them many different ways but the best is to wrap them in bacon and broil them in your oven, that way you can pour the drippings on them.

If you didn't add any seasoning then yes it probably didn't taste as good as say a New Yorker (my fav), Rib Eye or T-Bone.

Only problem with that: I do not like bacon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back