Got a small cost of living increase last year, bonus got cut this year.

Former manager and director moved to a new project, there were some consolidation and both current manager and director were from another team, taking over our project. We were scheduled to move to the new project by the end of this month to be under our former manager and director again.

6 months ago I got a small 2.xx% salary increase, nothing to speak about really, but at least it was something. Then this month I was told our CEO funded us 100% because we have a lot of people leaving, so he insist on paying up instead of cutting bonus as we expected. The "current" manager and director in the end cut my bonus to 75% of target instead of 100%, no explanation until I press on, with my previous statement, asking about how the numbers were calculated. First the manager blamed the director then he admitted he came up with recommendation and director "massaged" it a bit, then finally when pressed he said I was on the low end of meeting expectations.

I was originally asked to stay behind and help out the current project for a bit longer in the transition. I withdrew that offer the next week, told him that I like working with them but my career and financial might be better if I start on the new project sooner. He tried to sell me on the "more visibility" part of staying behind and I may get more reward because of the visibility......

Yeah it seems like I didn't get enough visibility from him or the upper manager before, and that leads to the "low end" of meeting expectation. I think I made the right move to not stay behind.

Maybe I should look for another job soon too.

Former manager and director moved to a new project, there were some consolidation and both current manager and director were from another team, taking over our project. We were scheduled to move to the new project by the end of this month to be under our former manager and director again.

6 months ago I got a small 2.xx% salary increase, nothing to speak about really, but at least it was something. Then this month I was told our CEO funded us 100% because we have a lot of people leaving, so he insist on paying up instead of cutting bonus as we expected. The "current" manager and director in the end cut my bonus to 75% of target instead of 100%, no explanation until I press on, with my previous statement, asking about how the numbers were calculated. First the manager blamed the director then he admitted he came up with recommendation and director "massaged" it a bit, then finally when pressed he said I was on the low end of meeting expectations.

I was originally asked to stay behind and help out the current project for a bit longer in the transition. I withdrew that offer the next week, told him that I like working with them but my career and financial might be better if I start on the new project sooner. He tried to sell me on the "more visibilitynd" part of staying behind and I may get more reward because of the visibility......

Yeah it seems like I didn't get enough visibility from him or the upper manager before, and that leads to the "low end" of meeting expectation. I think I made the right move to not stay behind.

Maybe I should look for another job soon too.
@PandaBear only you can decide what's right for you, but perhaps count your blessings.
Something like 60% of Americans work paycheck to paycheck.
Plus, I will always take a known over an unknown.
Again, only you can make that decision. Good luck.

With energy costs rising, many are really feeling the pinch and have to make tough decisions.

I'd be right with you looking for a new job too. They said your performance was low yet they tried to massage you to stay; that's pretty sus to me.

Bonus? What's that?
Sounds like the annual employee appreciation pizza party or Jimmy Johns for lunch type of day.

I do feel bad for the manager, I know how the game works as they have to juggle the numbers to not go over budget, keep their MVP happy, not losing people, and in the end someone will lose something.

Since our team is going to be transferred to new leadership, why not siphon their bonus to keep some of their own people happy. They just don't have the balls to say it but between the lines that's what is going on.

'visiblity'. Is that like 'optics'?
nothing wrong with carrot & the stick, if there's actually a carrot there versus an invisible one.
2022. What a year.

Bonus? What's that?
20% of my base salary. I got a 2.xx% increase last year and now my bonus is cut 25%, so net pay is 115% x 102.xx% instead of 120% x 100%.

So I got a net 2.xx% paycut.

I'd be right with you looking for a new job too. They said your performance was low yet they tried to massage you to stay; that's pretty sus to me.

Sounds like the annual employee appreciation pizza party or Jimmy Johns for lunch type of day.

I would rather get a pizza and my old salary / bonus back.

I wasn't looking for an actual answer. I was just making a point that many folks don't get any kind of bonus at all. :)
"Bonus" doesn't necessarily mean "extra". I've had a job in the past where (IIRC) 20% of salary was the "bonus" for meeting targets, and the bonus capped out at 40% of salary for above-target performance.

When the KPIs being measured aren't entirely within your own control, potentially missing out on that "bonus" portion can be painful - particularly when the the straight salary numbers aren't particularly attractive alone.

"Bonus" doesn't necessarily mean "extra". I've had a job in the past where (IIRC) 20% of salary was the "bonus" for meeting targets, and the bonus capped out at 40% of salary for above-target performance.

When the KPIs being measured aren't entirely within your own control, potentially missing out on that "bonus" portion can be painful - particularly when the the straight salary numbers aren't particularly attractive alone.
Very true. Should the CEO kept his mouth shut or our numbers were going up and down because of the funding, then I can understand. However he broadcasted that he funded more this time around but we actually got less is, somewhat fishy.

Back