Got a septoplasty today....

All went well, i think. I don't like the occasional blood oozing out of my nose and it feels as if I have a Cold, and the bad thing is that you can't blow your nose. Anyone get this done, too?

I was supposed to get this done back in the late 90's and chose not to. I canceled the surgery a day before. Mine is pretty bad. I damaged it in a street fight in Boston around 1980. My doctor told me if I damaged it again I would have nothing left to fix it. So I left it alone.

It'll take 3+ months for the scabbing and scarring to stop, and for it to start moistening and healing
It's been 10 months since mine, I'm now smelling sea air and cut grass in ways I haven't in years
I can even now tell when I've spilled gasoline all over myself (glad I don't smoke)
It won't fix allergies, or the need for allergy medication at times
Also don't be disappointed if it needs some rework 5 or 10 years from now, I was warned not to expect it to last forever
If it's still swelling and blocking up, you may want to consult an allergist for testing
Also don't forget teeth, an errant tooth crying for a root canal can wreak havoc on the sinuses
Best thing I ever had done, pretty much an inside overhaul
I'd hope so for the $32k+ it cost
Once you can flush, I suggest the Neti Squeeze, $15 including saline packets at most drug stores, much superior to the old pot
I had septoplasty, turbine modification, and a few other things done while he was in there
I knew it was bad when my E.N.T (who specializes in 9/11 first responders and it's after affects) told me that in 20 years of practice, he'd never seen it so bad in someone so young
... He had to pull with both hands to get the camera back out, so covered in blood and infection
frown.gif

Get some chicken and rice soup, lots of fluids, and lots of rest
Your gonna need it
I should've had it done years ago
21.gif

I had mine done last year and it was not bad at all...just a little stuffy. Now, the tonsillectomy I had two years ago at 34 years old, f that noise. The septo was a paper cut compared to that.

Had it done twice, highly recommended. Broke my nose in 8th grade getting run into from behind on a frozen pond and landed nose first. Had surgery and the doctor was a hack, still had a terribly deviated septum. Had it done again in 2007 and it was such an improvement. It's still deviated way up high and my left side has some restriction but nothing like it was before. Going back in for the follow up to get the crap cleaned out was the worst part and that was only when I had it done the first time.

Had that done 7-10 years ago, had to sleep in a chair for a week, couldn't lay down, then at the first visit one week later, the doctor pulled out 7'+ of bloody gauze. Now I can breathe, the nasal polyps were forcing me to sleep with my mouth open drying out my mouth.

I had it done in 2013, I breathe much better now, still not perfect but 75% better I feel. Less headaches, less sinus infections and no more nose spray except for flosnase for my allergies.

Now the bad..... I had it done on a wensday, and the pressure in my head was unbearable from the packing and the stents. I kept using a suction device that we used on my baby daughter to clear out the stents, the junk that came out was endless. I was in alot of pain. Packing came out that Friday and by Monday I was feeling better.

It took a long time to quit getting scabs and it was not healing properly. I have a very physical, outdoor job. My Civil War Surgeon wanted to get me back to work ASAP despite me having plenty of sick time. First day back to work which was just over a week from surgery, it was 95 degrees, I was up on a ladder and my nose started bleeding. Long story short after a month the civil war dr. had to prescribe me saline antibiotics because it wasn't healing well.

In the end Im glad I had it done, I just wonder if I would have had better results if I had a modern Dr. vs the civil war surgeon I had and/or I wasn't rushed back to work.

Had it done almost 10 years ago. It was done to prevent or mitigate my sinus infections that kept me on antibiotics for half the year. It worked in controlling that because I have only had a couple sinus infections since that time.

The surgery sucked. I had stents that looked like hollowed out saber tooth tiger fangs, and the doctor stitched a suture through the cartilage in my nose to hold them in. Hurt like [censored]. But here I am, with a few more scars than I had before. Make sure it is absolutely necessary before agreeing to the surgery! Mine was to stop problems with all the antibiotics I was taking. Many people can benefit from just the balloon inflation procedure without the full blown surgery and removing tissue.

Back