Got a plain thermostat or a fancy one in your house?

So I have a basic older style digital thermostat.
My daughter has a new Ecobee.
My mom and step dad have a super fancy Goodman do everything one.

What kind do you have/like?

Our house came with a Nest. I wouldn’t have shelled out the money for one before having it but I do really like it. I have the auto learn feature disabled though.

That's funny. I think of round mercury switches as being the plain ones. I have the middle ground one that is programmable but doesn't wifi or do anything fancy like a Nest. I don't have the extra wire and installation doesn't look straightforward on the Nest if you don't have the extra wire. And since my HVAC units have been troublesome, I'm not messing with that.

That's funny. I think of round mercury switches as being the plain ones. I have the middle ground one that is programmable but doesn't wifi or do anything fancy like a Nest. I don't have the extra wire and installation doesn't look straightforward on the Nest if you don't have the extra wire. And since my HVAC units have been troublesome, I'm not messing with that.
Round ones are antiques.... Lol

We've got a ten-year-old Carrier Infinity control that's programmable but is just old enough to lack wifi connectivity. We're kind of locked into it with that proprietary system and can't switch thermostats without losing a lot of functionality and features.
I know some people love their Nests, but I find them to take more liberties with the auto-learned temp settings than I'd like (wide swing, etc.) If I were in the market for a standard stat, I'd probably pick up a new Honeywell T5 or similar, or an Ecobee. It seems that a basic-ish Honeywell or similar offers the best bang for the buck in terms of utility savings. I'd guess most folks don't save much with a smart stat vs a properly-programmed programmable (not one set to hold at 72, though).

Round ones are antiques.... Lol

Honeywell still sells those. Of course with a mechanical switch.

honeywell-home-non-programmable-thermostats-ct87k-64_600.jpg

I still have the old one with an intact mercury switch. I figure I'll eventually go to a hazardous waste disposal facility to get rid of it.

I didn't need anything fancy. I just got a basic thermostat. It doesn't even have a thermometer function.

I don't have the extra wire and installation doesn't look straightforward on the Nest if you don't have the extra wire.
Ecobee includes a 'module' for systems that don't have a "C" wire. Also, most t-stat cable is multi-wire but only the ones you are using at the thermostat may be pulled out of the hole in the wall. That was the case with mine. At the furnace, I could see that the cable was 5-wire or maybe 7-wire. I was able to pull the bundle through and picked a color for the "C" connection and connected that same color at the furnace.

I wouldn’t have shelled out the money
For anyone else, check with your electric and/or natural gas company as many have "online stores" for energy-saving products and many will have rebates. I got an "ecobee 3 lite" for $50 after rebates. It normally sells for $169.

Ecobee includes a 'module' for systems that don't have a "C" wire. Also, most t-stat cable is multi-wire but only the ones you are using at the thermostat may be pulled out of the hole in the wall. That was the case with mine. At the furnace, I could see that the cable was 5-wire or maybe 7-wire. I was able to pull the bundle through and picked a color for the "C" connection and connected that same color at the furnace.

Some particularly talented knuckle-dragging HVAC installers cut the unused wires off. Flush with the sheath of the cable.

For anyone else, check with your electric and/or natural gas company as many have "online stores" for energy-saving products and many will have rebates. I got an "ecobee 3 lite" for $50 after rebates. It normally sells for $169.
I saw that with Consumers Power

Funny, I just watched the video on how to install that module. Looks easy.

When I had my HVAC system replaced at the beach house ⛱️ a few years ago I had the installers upgrade to a Côr® programmable WiFi thermostat. Since I'm mostly there on weekends a couple of times a month, during the week I can check it for all sorts of data from the primary residence. I can also change the settings remotely so the place is heated or cooled properly when I arrive. During the hurricanes it was nice to be able to check to make sure the interior hadn't been breached by the storm.

I'm also putting up wireless external monitors for added security.

Ecobee. The kit includes a module to wire it up without a C Wire. Worked just fine in our home. Been very happy with the sensor that you can tell the Ecobee to use at certain times instead of the main thermostat. We've found it to be extremely helpful with sunny cold days (as in 10 Degrees F or so and colder)- when the room with the main thermostat is well over the setpoint, but the back of the house is freezing cold...

Before that was a Honeywell Programmable, which worked ok.

Honeywell Programable. Plus it switches to an electric heat pump automatically if the outside temperature rises above freezing and back to a propane boiler if it’s below freezing. We let the temp coast downward towards 64 F at night and have it come back to 70 F in the morning. It can decide when to start the heat in the morning based on the outdoor temp. ( self learning.) It also is used program the central AC in the summer.

Just a standard programmable one. Since the family doesn't go to a work or school building any more, we probably don't need even that fancy of one as there's just a slight cool down overnights now.

The HVAC company the apt. owner has under contract installs TRANE equipment. I had a new ahu, condenser, and digital T-Stat installed about 2 years ago. The old system (Carrier) was about 10 years old and had a round Mercury T-Stat. I haven't had an electric bill over $80 since the new install.

Back