Got a new pressure washer....how to drain oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a new Simpson Megashot 3100 psi pressure washer (Model MSH3125-S). Got it because of the good reviews. I read through all the good and bad reviews. After it arrived at my house, one big problem I noticed was that the manual only referred back to the Honda engine manual for any maintenance items such as changing the oil. Also none of the 800 or so reviews on Home Depot or Amazon said anything about the problem of draining the oil. Below is the problem. I circled the oil drain plug in red.
Problem is how to drain the oil without making a mess.

jinrd1.jpg

I often use a vacuum system to evacuate oil from small engines.
You could after draining fit a extension pipe with cap for future ease of draining.

Is there another plug like it on the other side of the engine? Usually on pressure washers like this, there is another drain plug with a oval hole on the frame of the pressure washer to allow the oil to drain. If so, use a 6" extension with a socket and ratchet. The fuel tank might obscure the other oil drain plug.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Install a Drainzit drain hose works great.

This. Drainzit is perfect for this typical Honda issue.

I have them on my Honda powered compactor and my Chonda powered Honeywell/Generac generator and they're foolproof.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Is there another plug like it on the other side of the engine? Usually on pressure washers like this, there is another drain plug with a oval hole on the frame of the pressure washer to allow the oil to drain. If so, use a 6" extension with a socket and ratchet. The fuel tank might obscure the other oil drain plug.

Awesome suggestion!! Found it!!
Just kind of wierd the Honda manual doesn't seem to say anything about the second drain plug. In fact, it doesn't even show one there in any of the diagrams!!

I use a super inexpensive hand pump for this -- the kind you screw on to an oil bottle to fill differentials or transfer cases. I think they're about $5 each, and I buy a new one every few years because the suction and discharge hoses eventually get brittle.

I try not to touch those drain bolts -- I don't have the best of luck keeping them free of leaks after some use.

Speedy, that's a pretty typical setup on today's Chonda powered OPE. Most will have drain bolts on both sides. Some have plastic refill caps on both sides as well AND a dipstick tube up top. Those drainzit hoses are nice, or just run it out of fuel and tip the engine and drain it from one of the refill ports.

Take it back and get a refund if you still can. Those Honda GC engines have plastic camshafts and they break all the freaking time in pressure washers. I would be surprised if you get 100 hours out of it. Instead buy one with a Honda GX200 engine or GX200 clone engine. MUCH more durable. The GC is a terrible pressure washer engine. As a small engine mechanic Ive worked on so many of those Simpson pressure washers, I've lost count.

These would be much better and likely cheaper too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-garden...-iii-62200.html
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200664483_200664483
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-3-100-psi-2-5-GPM-212cc-Gas-Pressure-Washer-with-Idle-Down-RY80544/205092870?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D28I-PortableOutdoorPower%7c&gclid=CILdwpS_7c8CFQcmhgod35ICTg&gclsrc=aw.ds
https://www.walmart.com/ip/40694378?wmls...13=&veh=sem

All the above are about equal. Honda GX200 clone engines, cheap chinese pumps that last about 300 hours. Very easy to maintain, should last 20+ years with residential use if you maintain it, plus you can EASILY swap on a new quality pump if the pump dies for about $150-$200.

This one has a real deal cat pump, a very good unit for the money.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-3000-P...80955/205581956

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Take it back and get a refund if you still can. Those Honda GC engines have plastic camshafts and they break all the freaking time in pressure washers. I would be surprised if you get 100 hours out of it. Instead buy one with a Honda GX200 engine or GX200 clone engine. MUCH more durable. The GC is a terrible pressure washer engine. As a small engine mechanic Ive worked on so many of those Simpson pressure washers, I've lost count.

Bubbatime, Just trying to learn. Why do you think this application of the GC engine has a high failure rate? Is there something different about this application that tends to cause a problem?

Curious because I have been considering a Simpson/Honda GC unit in recent months. Have backed away because I am still able to nurse my current unit along. But, I don't won't to make a boo-boo when it does come time to buy.

Last edited:
I agree with Bubbatime as someone that runs a GX200 and Cat pump. Under full load with a 0 degree tip for long extended duration I always wonder if the engine one day will just go Boom as it is under big time load and run of the mill cheaply built engine in my opinion would it's worth the few extra $$ to get a proven workhorse that's my take on it. Always Amsoil SAE OPE since day one.

Originally Posted By: Geauxtiger
Why do you think this application of the GC engine has a high failure rate? Is there something different about this application that tends to cause a problem?

Pressure washers run at such a higher load that it just beats up the engine. Add in the load, plus the shock of the pump constantly loading/unloading, and say bye bye to your plastic camshafts/plastic camshaft drive gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back