got a good deal on tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kumho Solus KR21, 215 75 15 all 4 installed for $326 plus a $50 rebate gift card from the local Americas Tire Depot. They beat out Discount Tire and Big O tires by more than $50. I did not get the road hazard warranty.

They are an average standard touring tire, the performance falls off sharply around half tread, and they can wear quickly in some sizes 30000-40000 miles.

much better than chinese, lacking compared to class leaders such as altimax RT43

Last edited:
I have noticed that the KR-21's look a little skinny in their sizes, seeming as though you may have the wrong size tire on the vehicle until you read the sidewall.

They start out well and balance very good from the installers. Also, the KR-21's run decent to about the 25K-35K miles(YMMV) and then as Rand has mentioned, the performance falls off sharply.

If folks can look at the KR-21's as more of a 40K mile tires, our expectations will then be on track with the tires performance & longevity!

An inexpensive tire for those who only want the tire to last a short time till they sell off their vehicle or need tires to sell the vehicle.

I no longer recommend the KR-21's for those keeping their vehicle any length of time. But do in fact recommend them to those looking for a decent tire for the short timer as the KR-21's are better than most private label brands.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I have noticed that the KR-21's look a little skinny in their sizes, seeming as though you may have the wrong size tire on the vehicle until you read the sidewall.

They start out well and balance very good from the installers. Also, the KR-21's run decent to about the 25K-35K miles(YMMV) and then as Rand has mentioned, the performance falls off sharply.

If folks can look at the KR-21's as more of a 40K mile tires, our expectations will then be on track with the tires performance & longevity!

An inexpensive tire for those who only want the tire to last a short time till they sell off their vehicle or need tires to sell the vehicle.

I no longer recommend the KR-21's for those keeping their vehicle any length of time. But do in fact recommend them to those looking for a decent tire for the short timer as the KR-21's are better than most private label brands.

The stock OEM tire size listed in the door sticker is 205 75 15. This vehicle has been in my family since new and came w uniroyal tiger paws. When the stockers were done I went with 215 instead. So ur correct in that they are not the correct size per oem, but I went with a tiny bit bigger footprint, not skinnier. These are on a commuter vehicle, 8-10 k miles per year, non performance req'd and driven in socal (no snow). These tires are perfect for my application. Fyi, these replaced Wal-Mart Goodyear integrity that lasted over 45k miles which I think is good for cheap tires. And I'm keeping the vehicle until it stops running. Thanks for opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH
40k out of a set of tires? Sounds good to me?

The warranty is for 80,000 miles. The previous tires I had that vehicle went 67,000 miles.

Yes, I still agree that the KR-21's are a good bank for the buck. But, keep your expectations for the 80K mile rating, on the low(er) side and you'll be happier when they only last ~40K miles.

Those who expect to get closer to the 80K miles are most disapointed when the KR-21's only achieve 1/2 the miles.

I almost bought those for my focus (I believe). Paying extra for what were supposed to be 80K mile tires would be fine - but all the reviews said they only go 40K. I was afraid my records wouldn't be accepted for rotations, etc.

I got to 25K and 5/32nds with the set I bought, and then sold the car, so I guess they worked out okay, but I hated the tires, though I was in a much smaller size 175/70/13.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back