Got a chance to buy a Maverick

"... pretty much anything will do that for me. This is more a fun consideration."

If you and the cat don't need a trucklette I'd consider not playing this game.
Yeah, yeah for desiring a hybrid -the plum- but you said yourself you don't need it.
Any truck is a good thing not to need to buy.
There's gotta be more economical choices, even with AWD, than those mentioned here so far.

Ahhh, new car fever...must be Spring.

I had one 45 years ago. Simple. 302 V8. Would chase every crack in the highway.

Attachments

• E6A894AE-0AD9-41F1-85AD-7EC9ABE27F65.jpg
    E6A894AE-0AD9-41F1-85AD-7EC9ABE27F65.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 10
Don't get me wrong, it's a nice vehicle, but never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined a Maverick was somebody's dream car. On the other hand, I did really want a Tempo when it first came out, so what do I know.

I love the GT and the Thunderbird! (y)

I like it and would love to have the ecoboost in that vehicle. What comes to mind is the almost unavoidable dealer markups that appear once the vehicle arrives. If you can avoid that and afford it then go for it.

Interesting how much the ranger has come up. An XLT ranger is nearly $40k. I see no comparison there really. Longer, wider, worse fuel economy. Apples and oranges.
Not sure if I would agree. A FWD hybrid is where this vehicle really shines. Once you step into the $30’s and have MPG in the low 20’s, it is just another subcompact with an open bed.

I guess I'd be surprised if there is a ton of cross shopping in Mavericks and Rangers, even if you go 4x4 the Maverick is a lot cheaper. An XLT Supercrew 4x4 ranger starts at 37, a XlT Supercrew 4x4 maverick starts at 27...

If you need to Rangers capability the Maverick makes little sense, if you don't need the Rangers capability why pay an extra 10 grand for it and worse economy and likely ride.

OP - can you buy any PHEV (plug in hybrid) at MSRP near you, and fully utilize the federal tax credit? If so; buy one. Order the Mav hybrid or wait to find one at MSRP. Sell the PHEV at that time. The tax credit and any other incentives (check with local/state/utility/etc) will offset your depreciation and potentially more - you get a 'free' new car rental while waiting for the Mav that you really want. Win, win.

I want a Mav with ACC (adaptive cruise control) - those b*tards limit it to the high end model only and completely wreck the value play. Maybe 2023 version will change that...

Make sure you can afFORD it . Have to look at finances further down the road . They are having issues . Go to CarCompaints and Ford Maverick owner forums for problems , etc..

Last edited:
Thanks for the posts all. I let my buddy know I would pass. If I'm going to spend a lot of money it needs to be just what I want. I'm pretty sure i would enjoy the truck, but i know for sure the gas mileage would bother me.

Back on the search!

Thanks for the posts all. I let my buddy know I would pass. If I'm going to spend a lot of money it needs to be just what I want. I'm pretty sure i would enjoy the truck, but i know for sure the gas mileage would bother me.

Back on the search!
What are your usages for your vehicles? Commute distances, long trips, hobbies?

We need one car with AWD for ice fishing and getting out of our driveway, and comfortable for longer ski and camping trips with all our stuff, and decent on gas, therefore the Outback. The other one is for my longer commute, cheap to run, hopefully better mileage, and I like to be able to stuff my bike in it so I can go after work. I also jam all sorts of hobby farm stuff in the Focus, from grain to goats.....

A small utility trailer is kind of a better homeowner "pickup truck" anyways IMO, if you're just hauling stuff in the bed of the truck. No worries about scratches, lower loading height, dumpable, dropable, you can load longer things on it without get racks for your truck. For sure there's lots of things a pickup is better for, just how many of those things do you see yourself doing?

I've been hauling firewood, from my Dad's place near work, to home, with my trailer, about 900-1000lbs at a time basically for free, as the trailer almost totally sits in the draft of the car. So the effect on mileage is pretty small really. The trailer is easy to load, and I drop it in the driveway and the kids hook it up to the atv and take it to the back yard and dump the wood.

Back