Got a chance to buy a Maverick

Well somehow a chance to buy a maverick has fallen into my lap. An old buddy mentioned he didn't want his reservation anymore. It's an AWD XLT, FX4, Tow pack, Luxury pack. Velocity blue. Sticker is like $31,500.

My dream maverick would be an XLT hybrid. But this truck is really cool, and well specced in my opinion. I was planning on spending $21k on a new hyundai accent limited so this is a big jump up in price. And a huge drop in mileage. I love smaller trucks. I've had 4 pre-2011 rangers and loved all of them. Hard to pass up an opportunity to get a vehicle that is unobtanium currently.

I guess I'm coming to BITOG for opinions. No real right answer here. What would you do? I'm not going to buy it and flip it. I have no interest in that. I'll either buy it planning on driving it or just pass.

I wouldn't. 32k for an ecoboost xlt? the magic is in the hybrid lariat model that's like 27k. It's no longer special with that config. Basically just a ford ranger now no longer what the maverick truck is known to be.

Only you know your needs. The rest of us don't.
If you like the Maverick, and it meets your needs, and you can tote the note, go for it.
I also am on my fourth pre 2011 Ranger. In my book, this is not the replacement.
Also, this is a sellers market. It's not the time to be buying a car unless need makes it unavoidable.
Best of luck.

A little added info, I don't currently own a car. We sold it last Thursday for an unbelievable offer so no matter what I need to buy something.

Is it in the budget? Is this the vehicle you want? Is this the vehicle you need?
If you need a vehicle now, consider it. As others have posted, we are not in a buyer's market.

Good luck.

Is it in the budget? Is this the vehicle you want? Is this the vehicle you need?
If you need a vehicle now, consider it. As others have posted, we are not in a buyer's market.

Good luck.
I was going to pay cash for the Accent so I would be putting a minimum of $22k down on the maverick. I just need to get around. No kids, just a wife and a cat. So pretty much anything will do that for me. This is more a fun consideration.
Your wife has a 2022 Accent so why get another one?
If we both like the car I don't see why not. Easy for maintenance for sure.

Is that the way reservations work, can pass it on to someone else? That means he could also sell his reservation. Or he buys it and you become the second owner with both paying whatever taxes and fees involved. If you can get an Accent for 21, right now that would be a good deal.

If it fits your needs then go for it. Then again that is pretty much the configuration i "built" the other day fooling around, wish the Hybrids were AWD.

Mine is a counterpoint: I don't want to poo poo anyone's purchasing decision; I am simply stating what I would do:

I currently own a last gen Ranger, which I absolutely love.

I prefer full frame vehicles, not only for durability, but I like the way they sit up off of the ground; the Maverick's stance is more a crossover than it is a traditional truck. (NOTE: my current Ranger is stock, and if I were to purchase a 2022 Ranger, I would likewise keep her stock: I am not looking for a lifted truck look, although I do prefer the profile of a body on frame truck).

The Maverick makes some compromises, but they're compromises I would be willing to make with an XL, or XLT, hybrid: they're cheap, handsome, reasonably quick, and the fuel economy they get is insane.

But I wouldn't go for an ecoboost Maverick; I would simply get a Ranger. And they're available.

The Maverick and the Accent are two very different cars. The one you can pay cash for is the obvious choice to me unless you're needing the capability of the Maverick.

Have you driven a Maverick? I wouldn't buy anything I haven't thoroughly test driven, especially these days with all the different interior and drivetrain options available.

I remember back in 2005 my dad was looking at a Grand Cherokee Overland. He loved everything about the Jeep, but it had a sunroof. He was too tall to fit in it, even with the seat all the way down/back his head touched the ceiling. The dealer wanted to give him a great deal, but he said I'm not going to buy a vehicle I can't be comfortable in.

Seems a far stretch from the little Chevy / Daewoo. Where did that go?
The sweet spot Maverick is the XLT Hybrid in the mid to low 20's as you stated.

NO value otherwise.

Too pricey for me. NOT great real world mileage with turbo engine.

I can get a Ford Ranger AWD today for less.

Whoops they sold it over the weekend!

- Ken

Interesting how much the ranger has come up. An XLT ranger is nearly $40k. I see no comparison there really. Longer, wider, worse fuel economy. Apples and oranges.

Just picked up my Maverick XLT Hybrid w/Luxury package and a few extra goodies. 41.2 mpg on the way home from the dealer into a stiff 10 o'clock wind.. Sticker was $27,091
Hybrid will do about 40 mpg ave the way I drive. EB driven my style probably 27-28 mpg or so. Your pick

Just picked up my Maverick XLT Hybrid w/Luxury package and a few extra goodies. 41.2 mpg on the way home from the dealer into a stiff 10 o'clock wind.. Sticker was $27,091
Hybrid will do about 40 mpg ave the way I drive. EB driven my style probably 27-28 mpg or so. Your pick
I'd rather have the hybrid for sure. This is just what's been offered to me. Not that AWD would be worthless up here in the artic circle.

@JoelB
I could see where AWD would come in handy. :D

Could you imagine the wait times for a Hybrid AWD if it had been available from the beginning.

Back