Google Public DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been having a problem watching youtube videos lately....constant errors. ID errors and try again notices. So I have tried clearing the Cache.....helped for a little bit and then problems came right back. This happens on any computer I use on my network at home. So I changed over to Googles public DNS and no more problems yet. Is there any disadvantage to using this? Or is there another DNS that I can use that is better? Thank you!

I use FireFox to view YouTube videos . Via a cable , stand alone modem & stand alone router . Running a wireless connection to my PC ( at home ) & a CAT5 cable to the 43" TV I am using as my monitor ..

I will occasionally have an issue with YouTube . I just restart the PC and it is OK . The only other problem with YouTube is the commercials . I am too cheap to pay for the add-free version .

AS far as switching DNS , I am clueless about that .

Best of luck to you , :)

Originally Posted by mcrn
Is there any disadvantage to using this?

For 9 out of 10 people, absolutely no concerns. Don't overthink this but one 'negative' with using DNS setups like this (Google, Level 3, OpenDNS, etc) is you won't always get directed to closer web servers in cases where companies have duplicate servers located around the world. By that, I mean a website like Amazon doesn't have a single website server in the state of Washington, they have duplicated servers all over the country (and world). So when you use your ISP's DNS and visit amazon.com, you would normally get directed to their duplicate near Florida (hypothetically) or if it's busier, they could direct you to one a little farther away. With a public DNS, you might end up at an Amazon server in California or Michigan or Massachusetts or wherever. Will you notice any difference ? Can almost guarantee you that you will not.

Google DNS works fine for me. Supposedly, internet service provider DNS is a little bit faster. Charter DNS was becoming a PITA, so I started using Google DNS, and I can't really tell a difference for my basic needs. Just make sure to input two Google DNS addresses in your router settings, so it will use the second one if the first one is not working.

Originally Posted by BigD1
Supposedly, internet service provider DNS is a little bit faster.
They always should be because these DNS boxes will be "closer" to you in the network. They might even be "internal" to customers without having to go outside to the 'internet' (read: slower) and then back to you to answer.

Originally Posted by BigD1
...so I started using Google DNS, and I can't really tell a difference for my basic needs.
No one will notice a difference unless something is "broken". Using that GRC tool linked above will show differences but it will be measured in milliseconds and "we" can't notice that.

Use that DNS tool and choose the fastest reliable DNS you can. Every time you click a link there is typically a cascade of dozens of lookups that takes place so the milliseconds all add up to seconds of latency very quickly. The tool also tells you if your dns lookup are reliable. Once you find a good one hard set it on the router.

Well the downside is that you are giving Google all of your DNS information to do whatever they want with it.

Normally targeting ads, etc.

Is that better or worse than giving the same information to your ISP?

Originally Posted by JustinH
Well the downside is that you are giving Google all of your DNS information to do whatever they want with it.

Normally targeting ads, etc.

Is that better or worse than giving the same information to your ISP?

If privacy is a concern and one's ISP's DNS is not an option for whatever reason, Cloudflare offers DNS as well:

https://new.blog.cloudflare.com/announcing-1111/

... Although I am not sure Google is using their DNS for too nefarious reasons; at least according to them: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/privacy

I use OpenDNS because they offer some reasonable family filtering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back