google earth does not show Panoramio photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking for a solution to this problem for a long time, nothing worked. This does. Linux Mint 17 64 bit. Thought i would pass it on, thanks to the person that figured it out.

My OS is Linux mint 16 64 bit and the installed google earth version is 7.1.2.2041
Problem:- google earth does not show Panoramio photos
Solution(given by Mr.Amirpli):- open the terminal and
#sudo apt-get install libfreeimage3
#cd /opt/google/earth/free
#sudo wget https://googledrive.com/host/0B2F__nkihf...ubuntu12.tar.xz
# sudo tar xvf ge7.1.1.1580-0.x86_64-new-qt-libs-debian7-ubuntu12.tar.xz
# sudo apt-get install gufw
# sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

Now you will be able to see Panoramio photos
This method can be used for ubuntu 14.04/13.10/13.04/12.04If you can’t download ge7.1.1.1580-0.x86_64-new-qt-libs-debian7-ubuntu12.tar.xz file from the above googledrive site please PRESS HEREOriginally by: [email protected]

I just checked Google Earth on mine, and I can't see the Panoramio photos. I hadn't even noticed that they don't work, I had them unchecked because I don't like the distraction. It would be nice if they worked though, in case I should want to see them. Mine is 32 bit running on Mint 17 MATE 64.

Be careful about running random scripts googled off the internet, your fifth command down that you ran installs a GUI for the UFW firewall. I have no idea why that would be relevant to fixing a dependency in Earth.

Thank you for the tip.

Yes i saw that with the firewall, i have it installed from the get go but i figured its harmless and maybe it needs it for some reason (no idea). This has been a major issue for a long time and no one has fixed it though many have tried.

I did check the scripts out before using them. I couldn't find anything harmful.
I do need to speed up my upload speed though. I have 100/100 and get 100 down and only 28 up no matter what in Linux with Intel 5300 AGN card. In Windows its fine. Any ideas?

Sorry, no ideas on the upload speed. I'm a Linux newb, I just started using it full time in July after occasionally trying it over the years.

I don't even have any idea what my upload speeds are! I just take whatever Telmex shoves down my throat, it's faster than dial-up and not especially expensive. On a big download I usually get between 300 & 400 Kb/s. On regular web browsing I'll see spikes of up to about 3 Mb/s. I haven't noticed a difference from Windows, but then again I haven't compared them either. I got here by way of XP, so if I'm experiencing a bottleneck due to my setup, whatever it is it probably isn't as bad as it was before.

Thanks Garak. I tried that still no improvement. Download is fine its only the upload speed, it seems stuck at 28Mb no matter which site.

who do you get 100/100 from that's odd for personal internet.

what cable modem do you have? or type of service?

what site are you using to speedtest?

are you trying this with more than 1 device?

Last edited:
I'll have to do some thinking, then, Trav. That's a strange issue and I haven't come across it before. I wonder if it's some artifact of the browser.

I'd suggest trying to upload a file as an email attachment and get a rough timing of it and compare it to the figure that the speed test actually gives you. It would be very rudimentary, but it might give you an idea if the upload speed is actually slow or if something in the browser is holding things up. Aside from that, like I said, I have some thinking to do.

Originally Posted By: Rand
who do you get 100/100 from that's odd for personal internet.

I have had Fios for years and they gave me a free speed upgrade (it might be more than 100/100), sometimes its well over 100 up and down in windows and IOS i have tried this with multiple devices. Everything is wireless N.
Quote:
what cable modem do you have? or type of service?

Fios router with Cisco N router used as a access point.

what site are you using to speedtest?

OOkla, Xfinity, ATT,and others.
are you trying this with more than 1 device?

Yes only the Fujitsu with the Intel 5300 AGN card running in Linux has the upload issue, in Windows the card is fine, everything else has no issues.

Originally Posted By: Garak
That's a strange issue and I haven't come across it before. I wonder if it's some artifact of the browser.

I think its a driver issue? I tried a windows driver and blacklisted the Linux but its even worse.
I bypassed everything and went direct to the Fios wireless N, same thing.
Turned firewall off, no different, used a stripped browser, same thing.
It has 98% connectivity to the wireless access point.

RJ45 wired is no problem. Wireless connectivity is excellent, it doesn't drop out and is stable, it finds the network every time. I just cant get the upload speed higher. Still 100/28 isn't the end of the world but i would like to get it better if possible.

ah that is much more detailed, its obviously a linux software/driver issue as you mentioned.

is there some sort of feature for power saving turned on for the wireless?

could you try a different distro of linux off a live dvd perhaps?

wireless N has been out for awhile so it should be fully supported.

Last edited:
Power saving is off. I haven't tried another distro but i will try the new Suse version when it is released this week.

I just tried Mint 16 i had on a USB drive and its much improved with this Nic.
I moved the driver over and no different. So it looks like something in 17 causing the issue.

I have a Intel 6250 half card i will put in there and see how that goes.

Maybe a reinstall is in order. I've usually found the drivers to work quite well no matter which the distro, everything being plug and play. I wonder if the NIC manufacturer released separate drivers for Linux distros. I came across that once, but it worked plug and play anyhow.

Its a recent virgin install. Time to run mint 16 dvd and mint 17 dvd and see if there is a difference maybe?
Now i am on track i think i can work around it somehow now. Looking for driver.

Okay here is an update. Mint 16 DVD 83 down 65 up not quite what it is in windows but better.
Mint 17 running from DVD 74 down 23 up. Same unit, same wireless card.

I tried this multiple times with the same result. I cant find any other drivers that work better, the 500-1 and -2 are worse. Something changed between 16 and 17.
I will post the results from the new 6250 card when i get it installed.

Yeesh, that's an odd one. Yes, I'd run both those DVDs and see what happens. I'm beginning to wonder if it's a kernel issue. See how those two DVDs compare to your actual current install, and maybe some kernel numbers might help for some comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back