Goodyear WeatherReady or Michelin CrossClimate2?

Hi:
I have a set of WeatherReady's on our 2015 Corolla here in the Colorado metro area (not mountains). After only 21k miles, the tread is down from 10/32 to 6/32 and there is some strange edgewear going on. Discount will either work with us to replace them with a new set or they will also work with us if I want the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires instead. I remember about two years ago when I bought the WeatherReady's the CrossClimates were my first choice but they weren't available in a 215/45/17. All reviews I've read on this third generation CrossClimate have been great including an interesting YouTube video by Engineering Explained. I found a few older posts here about the CrossClimates. Has anyone tried out the CrossClimate2 in light to moderate snow areas to respond with any experience with their satisfaction? Having tried out the WeatherReady tires, I'm not sure I want to go with a replacement set. The only negatives I've read on tirerack customer reviews has been they can be a bit noisy and a few folks claimed their gas mileage decreased. Other than that, it seems the CrossClimates have always gotten very good reviews despite what to me, seems to be a very goofy-looking tractor tire design!

Wearing at both edges (inside and outside) or just one edge? hat kind of driving conditions? How many miles do you usually get out of a set of tires in that Corolla? :unsure:

21k from 10/32 to 6/32 means you'll get about 42k miles at 2/32. 40k isn't bad for a set of tires. I usually get 25-30k out of a set of tires, but I usually opt for performance all-season tires and drive in urban conditions, lots of turns, etc.

Thanks slacktide_bitog. Always nice to hear from you. I thought it was mainly outside wear but the Discount Tire guy felt it was both sides. I need to take another look. You are right about your calculations but I don't want to run it to 2/32. I am not comfortable in snow below 4/32 and 5/32 is an even better limit for me. Typically, we are getting about 30k on a set of tires and our driving style is very gentle - mix of city and highway but predominantly city. The CrossClimate2 tires are interesting. They claim minimal degradation in performance with wear and lower wear rate vs. competitors.

I've never personally used the GY WeatherReadys (I do know a couple people that have used them and both said they didn't wear all that great, got a bit louder/harder riding but they still liked them overall,) but do have a set of CC2's on my 2014 300 5.7L AWD. Unfortunately due to the pandemic I've literally driven very very little since it started! I used the CC2s last winter and in the little driving I did they were pretty good. In rain and slush I thought they were quite good, and same with dry weather, esp braking. They are very quiet and smooth imo and balanced well. Make steering lighter but not twitchy which is good in a big car. On snow they were better then the all-seasons I had on there but not significantly so, but this is a big heavy car with a decent amount of power. I didn't drive in any heavy snow though to test them yet. I've not noticed a change in mpg but I don't really track that much anyways. Sorry not much info but a lil for ya..

Thanks slacktide_bitog. Always nice to hear from you. I thought it was mainly outside wear but the Discount Tire guy felt it was both sides. I need to take another look. You are right about your calculations but I don't want to run it to 2/32. I am not comfortable in snow below 4/32 and 5/32 is an even better limit for me. Typically, we are getting about 30k on a set of tires and our driving style is very gentle - mix of city and highway but predominantly city. The CrossClimate2 tires are interesting. They claim minimal degradation in performance with wear and lower wear rate vs. competitors.

I have the original crossclimate. I can confirm they keep on performing well with low tread, even on snow. The cc2 should be even better on snow but gives up dry performance. Wear rates are definitely acceptable and I drive them hard, they are my UHP winter tyre. The 2 remaining will handle their 6th and presumeably last winter next season.

Mostly city is not gentle on tires. Unless you drive in straight line and no stopping, starting. But then it is highway.
If both edges wear then maybe you drive under inflated?

Krzyś

If both edges are wearing more than the middle of the tire, it could indicate underinflation. What pressure do you keep the tires at?

You're on track to hit 30k at 4/32, which you say is the usual lifespan of tires in your driving conditions. Mostly city is not gentle on tires, just the opposite.

That said, it might still make sense to get the CrossClimates.

Cross climate on my daughter Hyundai Elantra the noise is unbearable. It's a cheap SE model probably not much noise insulation in the car.
Tire noise on the Elantras is a common issue from reading thru some of the Hyundai forums. Some vehicles are more prone to noise then others. Did they get rotated or anything and pointed int he wrong direction (they are directional tires.) I'd contact the dealer and Michelin about the noise for sure though if you think its excessive...

Tire noise on the Elantras is a common issue from reading thru some of the Hyundai forums. Some vehicles are more prone to noise then others. Did they get rotated or anything and pointed int he wrong direction (they are directional tires.) I'd contact the dealer and Michelin about the noise for sure though if you think its excessive...
The tires are pointed in the correct direction and everything checked out by mechanic. The original OE nexen priz were rather quiet. Contacted Michelin they said noise not covered under warranty

I will say besides the unbearable noise from these Cross climate tires and the cheap Elantra SE does take some of the blame the tires are really good. Great snow rain traction and track straight no wandering at speed. They are wearing out even no cupping and should last a long time

That sucks they aren't working out for you noise-wise. Pity Michelin isn't saying or doing more to help, one of the key selling features is the 'piano tuning quietness' of these tires! Might want to press them a bit more thru the dealer or something? Like someone else said in the other post. if you switch and sell these, you should be able to get a good price for them though.

Back