Goodyear to buy Cooper

Well yes and before being consumed by Goodyear, Cooper bought Qingdao GRT Rubber and took control of its factories too. A major reason stated by analysts for the Goodyear acquisition is for Goodyear to increase production n China.

Well yes and before being consumed by Goodyear, Cooper bought Qingdao GRT Rubber and took control of its factories too. A major reason stated by analysts for the Goodyear acquisition is for Goodyear to increase production n China.
So your problem with Cooper is that, in addition to being one of the largest US manufactures of tires, they bought/built foreign factories to serve local markets - which made the USA-based company more profit?

Cooper has, AFAIk, 9 factories. 5 in the USA, one in the UK, one in Serbia, and two in China.

And this is somehow a problem for you?

As long as Goodyear doesn't mess with Cooper's product line too drastically or lay off US workers... I'll save my outrage for elsewhere.

So your problem with Cooper is that, in addition to being one of the largest US manufactures of tires, they bought/built foreign factories to serve local markets - which made the USA-based company more profit?

Cooper has, AFAIk, 9 factories. 5 in the USA, one in the UK, one in Serbia, and two in China.

And this is somehow a problem for you?

As long as Goodyear doesn't mess with Cooper's product line too drastically or lay off US workers... I'll save my outrage for elsewhere.

And yet...many of their US-market tires are made in China. Regardless of what they claimed, that is not what they did!

And yet...many of their US-market tires are made in China. Regardless of what they claimed, that is not what they did!
CS5 Grand Touring
CS5 Ultra Touring
Evolution Tour
Evolution Winter
Discoverer HT Plus
Discoverer STT Pro
Evolution M/T
Discoverer Enduramax
Discoverer SRX
Discoverer SRX LE
Evolution H/T
Discoverer S/T Maxx
Discoverer Snow Claw
Discoverer HT3
Discoverer AT3 4S
Discoverer AT3 LT
Discoverer AT3 XLT

All made in the US of A.

You were saying...?

Last set of Cobras I had were Hecho de Mexico.

Glacier Grip
Glacier Grip II (I recall the entirety of the Mastercraft line.)
Zeon RS3
Discover True North
Mickey Thompson Street Comp

All made in China. Seems like the old designs are made here and the newer ones in China...probably as a prelude to closing US plants.

Last set of Cobras I had were Hecho de Mexico.

Glacier Grip
Glacier Grip II (I recall the entirety of the Mastercraft line.)
Zeon RS3
Discover True North
Mickey Thompson Street Comp

All made in China. Seems like the old designs are made here and the newer ones in China...probably as a prelude to closing US plants.
I don't follow your logic. The majority of their tires (and their best sellers) are made and sold here.

Yes, they make tires in China - as does everyone else. Cooper is still the second-largest US maker of tires, behind Goodyear.

I don't follow your logic. The majority of their tires (and their best sellers) are made and sold here.

Yes, they make tires in China - as does everyone else. Cooper is still the second-largest US maker of tires, behind Goodyear.
It's not complicated...new design, made in China. Old design made here, will eventually be dropped. US factory closes when all tires made there are dropped. Gradual transition to making all tires in China.

It's not complicated...new design, made in China. Old design made here, will eventually be dropped. US factory closes when all tires made there are dropped. Gradual transition to making all tires in China.

I think Cooper has been moving in the opposite direction the last few years. The Starfire Solaris AP is now back in the USA at the Mississippi Plant and the old AT3 (Walmart Cooper A/T and Discount Tire ATP) and new AT3 4S, LT and XLT are all USA Tires.

The tires listed on the Chinese list are mostly older tires. In general the newer tires are the ones on that USA list.

Last edited:
I purchased Goodyear Wrangler A/T w/Kevlar a day after this announcement.

I unfortunately ran over a nail which imbedded/damaged the sidewall. My beloved Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S had to be replaced (only 40,000 miles on them with 15,000 plus to go). The dealer had limited choices with what they had in stock - so the Goodyears it was.

EDIT - forgot to post - hopefully the quality of the Cooper brand doesn't suffer (I've had numerous sets of Coopers on different vehicles and for the most part they've been great tires). To me Goodyear can be hit, or miss.

Back