Goodyear to buy Cooper

Well, Cooper was almost sold off to an Indian company. Perhaps those on the I don't like Goodyear train might be happy that Cooper is staying in US hands...

And like every manufacturer, they have some meh tires (often designed to meet an automakers requirements) and some really decent tires.

As pointed out the Duratracs are a great tire. I've been happy with the set of Wranglers on my F150 as well.

As for Cooper, I had one set. They took a ton of weight to balance, wore unevenly, and were super noisy after 20,000 miles. I saved something like a 100 bucks putting them on my truck - and made it easy to justify spending more the next time I needed replacement tires. Perhaps other tires were better...
To the bold - 100% agree with you here.

Even though I am concerned that the Cooper quality might slip under Goodyear - what concerns me more is foreign competitors buying up 'Murican companies...I know I may come across as naive, or xenophobic, but I just want what's best for the USA, and keep our people here employed.

I have a dedicated set of steel wheels/Cooper Glacier-Grip tires for winter. Great in snow.
Rest of the year I drive on General Altimax RT43 which is much better tire (handling in wet and dry, cornering, less noise and less thread wear) than the OE Conti the car came with.

Back