Goodyear to buy Cooper

Ive been happy with the copper tires I’ve owned. Ive never bought Goodyear tires in Recent memory, because test results have never made it prudent. And as I recall, COO was an issue with Goodyear too.

iIRC, Cooper had a big slug of investment from India a few years back. I guess they want their return. Cooper could well have some tech that GY wants, and it’s better to buy Cooper... sometimes things work that way. Additionally, there are so much Chinese product dumped on the US market, maybe having more factories that can make product in a supposedly “downmarket” position, cost effectively, it’s a benefit to GY.

If they offshore and ruin the products, I wont buy.

Cooper's line-up seems to be super-dated. Their CS5 tire has been on the market for more than decade.
Goodyear has had a number of decent aftermarket tires lately, but I am hesitant to commit since my experience with their OE fitment on my truck has been unfavorable (balance issues).

I know in the off-road community, the Goodyear Wrangler Dura-Trac is considered a very good tire. It also has an excellent reputation in snow. I've not owned any Goodyears myself in a good while, but those I've had in the past were very good. But every Jeep owner in the clubs in which I am a member who has Duratracs raves about them. I haven't had any Coopers, but I've never heard anything bad about them, either.

This always happens; markets mature. Big fish swallow up smaller fish to gain marketshare, products, etc.
Business evolution...
Yep … and whilst bias tires are hard find tire bias runs rich. My wife’s Michelin tires are at 40k and the chipping has started … would not dare run them on what/where I drive … they chip like mad on our quartz gravel roads. Wrangler dos not … BFG in between and I like the newer KO’s …
Cooper SRX will replace those Mich’s …

I know in the off-road community, the Goodyear Wrangler Dura-Trac is considered a very good tire. It also has an excellent reputation in snow. I've not owned any Goodyears myself in a good while, but those I've had in the past were very good. But every Jeep owner in the clubs in which I am a member who has Duratracs raves about them. I haven't had any Coopers, but I've never heard anything bad about them, either.
GY WDT sell like crazy here … farmers, ranchers, construction and oil field …
One of my FLS has two JLU’s and will get Cooper next based on JK use.
Just put Cooper on his GMC AT DMax

Ive been happy with the copper tires I’ve owned. Ive never bought Goodyear tires in Recent memory, because test results have never made it prudent. And as I recall, COO was an issue with Goodyear too.

iIRC, Cooper had a big slug of investment from India a few years back. I guess they want their return. Cooper could well have some tech that GY wants, and it’s better to buy Cooper... sometimes things work that way. Additionally, there are so much Chinese product dumped on the US market, maybe having more factories that can make product in a supposedly “downmarket” position, cost effectively, it’s a benefit to GY.

If they offshore and ruin the products, I wont buy.
Yep, M&A is hardly anything new …

Well, Cooper was almost sold off to an Indian company. Perhaps those on the I don't like Goodyear train might be happy that Cooper is staying in US hands...

And like every manufacturer, they have some meh tires (often designed to meet an automakers requirements) and some really decent tires.

As pointed out the Duratracs are a great tire. I've been happy with the set of Wranglers on my F150 as well.

As for Cooper, I had one set. They took a ton of weight to balance, wore unevenly, and were super noisy after 20,000 miles. I saved something like a 100 bucks putting them on my truck - and made it easy to justify spending more the next time I needed replacement tires. Perhaps other tires were better...

GY WDT sell like crazy here … farmers, ranchers, construction and oil field …
One of my FLS has two JLU’s and will get Cooper next based on JK use.
Just put Cooper on his GMC AT DMax
I am convinced the competition it provided made my current BFG AT KO2s a better tire. BFG gave them 3 mountain peak rating almost certainly because of the Dura Trac's reputation in snow. I had KOs before and the KO2 is a massive improvement across the board. So thank you, Goodyear, for that!

I am convinced the competition it provided made my current BFG AT KO2s a better tire. BFG gave them 3 mountain peak rating almost certainly because of the Dura Trac's reputation in snow. I had KOs before and the KO2 is a massive improvement across the board. So thank you, Goodyear, for that!
I sure like my factory KO’s and don’t plan to mess up the ride with E rated tires … they plow through the soft stuff even with 35 psi … Seldom lock the front axle …

I sure like my factory KO’s and don’t plan to mess up the ride with E rated tires … they plow through the soft stuff even with 35 psi … Seldom lock the front axle …
Yep, the KO's served me very well. I've just found the KO2 to be better. But loved the KO2, for sure. Man, they lasted forever! I think I got 75k out of the last set when I had my F150. That made up for their price, for sure!

Yep, the KO's served me very well. I've just found the KO2 to be better. But loved the KO2, for sure. Man, they lasted forever! I think I got 75k out of the last set when I had my F150. That made up for their price, for sure!
Yep, I have KO2 … just lazy iPad typing

I have a set of Cooper CS5 Grand Touring tires on one of my vehicles now. Good tire. Never had a set of Goodyears and probably never will. After a Goodyear company policy issued last August, 18. (which I shall not mention so this doesn't get🔒) I probably won't buy Coopers again either.

I've never owned a Goodyear I was impressed with. Cooper I would rate as marginal.

I suspect I won't be buying either 'brand' in the future.

Question for those with legal chops: could this be seen as an anti-trust issue, when there are only two US tire companies, and one buys the other?

I guess as long as they don't end up in Chinese hands...
I switched to Coopers when Pirelli was sold to the Chinese.
I've never had good luck with Goodyears.

Back