Goodyear to buy Cooper

I hope that Cooper Tire quality won't take a hit. Goodyear have been putting out meh tires for years.

Maybe the shareholders won't approve the sale.

(And in a big-picture way, it is better having many companies in competition rather than just a few, or one, company)

I hope that Cooper Tire quality won't take a hit. Goodyear have been putting out meh tires for years.

(And in a big-picture way, it is better having many companies in competition rather than just a few, or one, company)

Same thoughts. I've never really been impressed with goodyear tires. I did like Cooper and how a lot of Coopers were / are made in the USA

Last year i bought my first Goodyear tires since the mid 90's, It is the Weatherready model and i'm really impressed with it so far.

Does this make Goodyear the only US owned tire maker left?

There were so many US based tire manufacturers not too long ago.

Firestone - Bridgestone
General - Continental
Armstrong-Pirelli
Goodrich-Michelin
Uniroyal-Michelin
Mohawk-Yokohama
Cooper-Goodyear
Dayton-Bridgestone

Those are some of the mergers of US tire companies that l remember.

I do not like Good Year tires and currently have a set of winter Cooper tires that I like. Might be time to find a different brand for the Cooper's down the road.

Does this make Goodyear the only US owned tire maker left?

There were so many US based tire manufacturers not too long ago.

Firestone - Bridgestone
General - Continental
Armstrong-Pirelli
Goodrich-Michelin
Uniroyal-Michelin
Mohawk-Yokohama
Cooper-Goodyear
Dayton-Bridgestone

Those are some of the mergers of US tire companies that l remember.
^^^ There is something to be said there ^^^ … Cooper was almost foreign owned already …
Not all mergers are bad … I think United was made better by Continental and Exxon by Mobil

I don't like it. Both companies are based in Ohio. I bet white color jobs will be the victim in the merger down the road at the Cooper headquarters.
It’s one thing to like and judge - but it’s another to vote in advance with your wallet …
Cooper is still my next tire to go on my Chevy …

Goodyear doesn't make any private label tires, except for private label Viva and Douglas tires for Walmart.

Cooper is the king of private label tires. :unsure:

Indian tire company Apollo tried to buy them a few years ago, but backed out at the last minute over disagreements about the share price. A good story here

Goodyear wants access to Cooper's Chinese operations

This is quickly turning into the kind of garbage this site is known for …
never had a bad Goodyear or Cooper myself
just keep supporting your foreign companies

Goodyear tyres seem to score quite high in tyre tests in europe, while Coopers are usually dead last, or if they include Chinese budgets just above those..

Are Coopers cheaper or quieter or longer lasting?

Oh good....they're enlarging the number of expensive, mediocre tires on the market. Had sets of Coopers on my Sentra and Sundance. Good stuff, and not a budget buster. Too bad.

GoodYear for me is poster child how great companies in the US go down, where everything is revolving around short term profit.
Before coming to the US I was strictly buying GoodYear snow tires in Europe. Occasionally I would get Continental TS series, but GoodYear in 90's and beginning of 2000's was name of the game in snow tire segment. Michelin and Bridgestone, let alone others, could not sniff close to GY and to some extent Continental. I moved here in 2005, and based on that experience and some experience with their summer tires in Europe, I go on my first care here with GY Eagle F1. Horrid tire. I mean the quality was so abysmal, that I replaced it with Hercules tires, which were a OK, but still better. Next car, I go again with GY. Thinking that that was one time miss. AGain, same thing, horrid quality, getting out of balance etc.
Interestingly, for business my brother and I share in Bosnia, we still get their tires there, and never had a single issue. Here in North America they are so inconsistent with quality that in the end, IMO they will end up being part of some foreign company.

My issue is the consolidation of companies, which reduces competition and drives up prices. I don't like it when tire companies do it, nor when Amazon and Google buy up literally every tech competitor.

Behemoth companies do not help the little man.

I have always been happy with Cooper tires. Lotta bang for the buck.
I recently had 2 Arizona tires from Discount Tire installed on my grand niece's Corolla.
I didn't know it, but BITOG told me they were Coopers. Yay!
These matched the 2 she had installed a year back.
Great ride. 100% satisfied.

My issue is the consolidation of companies, which reduces competition and drives up prices. I don't like it when tire companies do it, nor when Amazon and Google buy up literally every tech competitor.

Behemoth companies do not help the little man.
This always happens; markets mature. Big fish swallow up smaller fish to gain marketshare, products, etc.
Business evolution...

Back