Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S or Michelin Pilot Sport?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector...ils#page_header

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/eagl...=10905936600000

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 are $625 and the Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S are $455 not including mounting and tax. I'm a Michelin fan, but $170 difference is pretty dramatic.

I got some 17 x 9 SVT wheels and am debating between 245 45 17 and 255 40 17 for my 2000 V6 Mustang. Internet research indicates the 245 tire is a bit stretched on a 9" rim, even though it is within the range for the tire, and doesn't protect the rim from curbs. The 255 has a 9" rim as the middle of the range of rim widths. I'd rather have the 45 series, but if it looks funny or increase chances of rim damage, I'd opt for the 255 40 size.

I'm assuming all 2000 Mustangs have the same size wheel wells and these tires and wheels will fit on my base Mustang.

Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
Why not 255/45? It's only marginally bigger, and it has tons more selection and better pricing?

That size doesn't seem to be available in the tires I've been shopping for.

The goodyears are softer tire than the Mich, so the Mich will last a bit longer. If I ate a fan of Mich, then I would go with that.

Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
Why not 255/45? It's only marginally bigger, and it has tons more selection and better pricing?

Wider isn't better. That size will probably make the steering response more squishy and reduce wet weather performance.

As to the OP's original question, those new Pilot Sport A/S 3s are beating just about everything in the tests. If you can swing the extra expense, go for it.

The michelin tire is a definite category leader, will most likely last significantly longer, and are amazing tires... beating some max performance summer only tires.

if you dont want that much performance.. there are other discount alternatives.

in fact DTD just had a pre 4th of july sale with
triple rebates. (they also pricematch shipped price from other online sellers)

I dont know how you drive the car but you could most likely pick up a kumho 4x or similar tire for under 400$(close to 300$) a set easily if you have abit of time to wait for sales.

Cooper Zeon RS3-A are about 290$ a set of 4 in your size.

Edit:
109x4 = 436$-70-50-30= 286$ shipped.

Last edited:
Choosing a tire is a very difficult decision, so many to choose and price vs performance is very much a personal reference.

No doubt that Pilot Sport A/S 3 is one of the best in its category but you pay the price for the best performance tire. For less $ (a lot less than Michelin) you can get some brands that will give good/reasonable performance.

Personally, I don't like Goodyear I think they are not not worth the money you pay for it.

Ordered the 255/40 17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on the last day of Costco's $70 off discount offer. $725 all up installed for 4. Too much risk in buying iffy tires, so I went with the most reliable tire brand I know.

Compare Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season to a Pilot Sport A/S 3 tire. Eagle Sport is in a different category. I currently own A/S 3 on my G35 and have owned Eagle F1s on my Mazda 3. They are both very similar in performance/traction/noise/ride comfort. Michelins are a tad softer ( better ride, slower response ) while the GY has an edgier more immediate feel to them. Both gripped equally well for me in dry or wet weather driving.

I will say this, the price point I paid for the Michelins, I will definitely look for lesser expensive alternatives next time around. Cooper Zeon RS3-A is on the top of my list ( GY does not make any decent tire for my vehicle's staggered fitment. )

Last edited:
Installed the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 today, and initial impression is that they are awesome. Was worried if the 40 aspect tire would ride rough and it doesn't. Surprisingly smooth ride for a performance tire. Very nice tires and they look good too.

I loved my goodyear a/s sport tires on the Subaru I previously had, however they are more of a comfort-driven all-season than super high performance. On a car with 200hp or less, the goodyears are fine. High horsepower vehicles and performance vehicles could do a lot better on the Michelin Pilot A/S3 if you don't mind the price.

You chose well, they just cost more
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Dominic
I loved my goodyear a/s sport tires on the Subaru I previously had, however they are more of a comfort-driven all-season than super high performance. On a car with 200hp or less, the goodyears are fine. High horsepower vehicles and performance vehicles could do a lot better on the Michelin Pilot A/S3 if you don't mind the price.

You chose well, they just cost more
smile.gif

Very pleased and confident I made the right choice. Thanks all for your input.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^I would expect a Michelin tire to provide one of the better tire experiences you can have. They always do for us...

Agreed, although I have been impressed with the Cooper Zeon RS3-A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back