Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring - Made in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my third set of Goodyear Assurance ComforTred tires last week, this set is going on the Town and Country Touring L. I have never bought three sets of the same car/truck tire in my life. Which says something about these. They're smooth, they're quiet, and they wear well.

A set of Michelin Defenders (that someone put on before I bought it) are coming off. They are down to 5/32", and were put on 37,500 miles ago, according to the paperwork in the glove box. Assuming 5/32" of tread gone in 37,500 miles, they could have gone to around 50,000 miles, with an unknown possible further degradation in wet/snow traction as time went on. Honestly, not a stellar performance for what is supposed to be an 80,000 mile Michelin tire.

The local farm supply store was running a "Buy three, get one free" sale... which could also be described as being 25% off.

Plus, GY is offering an $80 rebate through the end of the year. With both offers, it works out to $242 discount from list, which is getting 1 1/2 tires for free, on a set of 4.

I was glancing at the sidewall, and something caught my eye. I stopped with fear, not wanting to look again. I thought I saw the words "Made in China". No, it can't be true.

I didn't want to look a second time, but had to. I had to know.

There it is. Right in the sidewall. Made in C-h-i......l......e.

Made in Chile.

Still not thrilled, but at least it isn't China.
cry.gif

It looks like most of the tires of this model are made in either Chile or the US.

I know that this data is available on TireRack, I guess I didn't look ahead of time, since I'd already made the decision to buy the tires on both from past experience and the available deal.

One thing that is interesting, is that the new Assurance WeatherReady appears to be made exclusively in Chile.

My last set of Goodyear GT’s came from Chile … My Firestone tires are from Canada …

Wherever tire companies can find countries with low labor rates and no EPA, allowing them to save buko bucks, they'll do it.
Pollution? Its Chile's problem, sort of....same planet, but at least the polluted air and water is thousands of miles away from us.
Low labor rates? Its their problem.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Were the other sets made there too?

Most of the "Assurance" line is. Didn't check any of the truck tires.

Pet peeve, if you are going to use a foreign word, know how to spell it. BEAUCOUP, French for many

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
... allowing them to save buko bucks, they'll do it.

the general rt34 i got from DTD were made in Romania. these days as long as the QC is good where its made matters a lot less then in the past

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WhyMe
the general rt34 i got from DTD were made in Romania. these days as long as the QC is good where its made matters a lot less then in the past

Totally agree here. There are excellent tires made in China and other 3rd world countries and poor tires made in the states. It's all relative.

ComforTreds are the only way I fly. They last about 45,000 miles in my driving. I then get a pro rate from DT,get a new set,and go again.

I cannot stand this anymore. Everyday we hear these corporations like complaining like they are some victims of some wide conspiracy against them.
Jack Ma best said: no one made corporations to move production to China. They just want to squeeze last cent out of consumer, without any responsibility toward country. Then blame government, EPA etc. so they can give us new Deepwater Horizon or Exxon Valdez etc.
When we had baby in 2016 I bought Recaro seat (German company) to put in BMW. I heard they are big seats, so I bought just one to see how big before buying it for Tiguan. It turned out it could not properly fit into Tiguan. So I ordered Graco (American company). Soon I realized Recaro is Made in USA while Graco is, of course, Made in China. The sad thing is that Recaro, which is of MUCH, MUCH higher quality, is only $10 more expensive then Graco where cheapness screams on every corner. So Recaro can make a seat in the U.S., make profit, pay shareholders, but Graco cannot?

Goodyear has been sourcing from their Chilean plant more these days - my parent's RS-As are made there, I was under the impression those would be made at their Lawton, OK plant seeing how it's an OEM fitment and cop car tire.

Kumho and Hankook have been making tires in Vietnam and Indonesia as well. My dad installed a pair of Chinese-made Toyos on a car we once had - it was made by a Cheng Shin(Maxxis) and Toyo joint venture. They held up well but succumbed to dry rot.

Originally Posted By: grampi
We can't even make tires here anymore???

Sure we can. Several new tire factories have opened within the past 2 years from Kumho, Hankook, and Giti. The Upstate NY factory formerly owned by GY is now run by Sumitomo, and they have already begun making Falken tires in the US
smile.gif

Quote:
....I know that this data is available on TireRack, I guess I didn't look ahead of time...

Yep, sure is and obviously you didn't. If buying tires based 'strictly' on coo or more specifically having a coo of US is THE priority, first place to check is TR. If that doesn't reveal specific coo, then more due diligence is required. If that not conclusive, buy a tire with the known preferred coo. Then thread starter and topic gripe unnecessary.

Based on TR, looks like US CA CL are coo for the GY ComforTread. Been looking at the topic ComforTread for possible next tire purchase. 'For me', while made in the US would be preferable, no coo listed would eliminate them from consideration.

Sure, there are plenty of USA made tires around. Some are union made and some aren’t. A little research goes a long way.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: grampi
We can't even make tires here anymore???

Michelin, Bridgestone, Continental.

The Bridgestones on my work truck are from Thailand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back