'Goodwill non-warranty work'

Any have this experience- manufacturer has a paint issue and they know about it, I do have extended warranty on mechanical but not on exterior finish, car is 2015 model which the manufacturer already extended paint warranty around rear window- this car has that claim performed. Now there is a paint defect on the trunk lid that they have agreed to fix (I assume strip entire trunk lid as the paint is delaminating) and have given me a three page legalize form to sign before performing the work. So to me- they know they have an issue and getting more specific than this is even spelled out on the form. 5-6 years out of paint is ridiculous considering the car and the cost of refinishing. I suppose I don't have a choice and was expecting a down right refusal considering my past experience with the dealer and manufacturer.

What's the legal paperwork you have to sign for?

My step-mom's 2010 Pontiac G6 lost the clear coat on the hood, roof, and trunk in 2013. GM said to pound sand.

What are you asking? Sign the form, get it painted. What does the form say? This is last good will paint repair you'll get from us?

Haven't signed but in all probability will sign.
Manufacturer is doing me a favor of repairing defect and in turn although not admitting liability I will release them of any future liability and to keep quiet about it.

Haven't signed but in all probability will sign.
Manufacturer is doing me a favor of repairing defect and in turn although not admitting liability I will release them of any future liability and to keep quiet about it.
Keep quiet about it, too? Yikes. Can you tell your wife. LOL.

What's the legal paperwork you have to sign for?

My step-mom's 2010 Pontiac G6 lost the clear coat on the hood, roof, and trunk in 2013. GM said to pound sand.
When it comes to paint defects that's the usual sentiment from most manufacturers. If the OP is getting one last repair he is lucky. I had a Subaru and the paint was terrible. They told me to pound sand-they lost a customer for life and the vehicle was traded in immediately after the warranty denial.

I thought the domestics learned their lessons in the early 90s.
The problem is that regulations and laws keep changing. It would probably be fine if they could keep using the same paint for decades. But with low voc demands and changing regulations, they keep ending up having to reformulate things and those reformulations don't go according to plan.

Honestly- the car has been on the whole OK, whether I would purchase that model again....probably not, in fact the manufacturer lost me two years ago as a customer due to character assassination by the local service manager (who saved a few bucks for another warranty issue) but cost his stealership and the manufacturer a customer- I refuse to deal with them (10 min drive) and will drive two hours one way to deal with another dealership. I may sound high maintenance- but I demand proper service. The radar sensors in the rear bumper were acting up and they warrantied one- in the process they had to take the rear bumper off twice, another warranty paint job issue (see a paint theme here?) revealed by the body shop subcontractor that half the tabs had been torn off and that was why the bumper had a slight sag- dealership told me to f* off. I understand that some parts are made to go on once (on the assembly line) but I fail to see how that is my problem. Never set foot there again, and I will relay my experience readily. I had this disputed with BBB and BBB closed the file secretly with no communication with me- I later asked to see the file and wow- that manager really went out of his way to screw me without any chance of rebuttal. BTW BBB is a waste of time too. The title of this document is Confidential- Full and Final Release.

When it comes to paint defects that's the usual sentiment from most manufacturers. If the OP is getting one last repair he is lucky. I had a Subaru and the paint was terrible. They told me to pound sand-they lost a customer for life and the vehicle was traded in immediately after the warranty denial.

That’s a bit extreme, no?

I don't think so....others might however.

I think most manus have problems they cover up or would rather be kept on the DL (eg, due to lack of a known fix at the time) from time to time. THEN there are individual dealers and THEN there are individuals within those dealers.

When I got pooped on badly by a Subie dealer in Jersey I didn’t give up on Subaru, I gave up on those dudes. I ended up with a less desirable color Subaru from a dealer in NH, because they were super easy to deal with.

My point is, I’d never want to limit my own choices based on something like some jerk being himself to me. Besides, that jerk who was a jerk probably won’t even be there the next time you go to buy a car. At least around here, the larger dealers seem to have a high turnover rate. At least on my 5+ year timeline. I realize I’m mixing your story with others, but you get the point.

Now if I had been rejected for a blatantly obviously high number for warranty claims over more than one car of the same manu? I could definitely see writing a whole manufacture off for that kind of thing. However, I didn’t write Subaru off for not warrantying a rear diff that may or may not have been damaged in an accident. Insurance said no, Subaru (who didn’t want to warranty it) so yes.

2015 Honda Accord.
Honda has struggled with paint since forever

Some colors (Taffeta White) struggle with adhering, while every blue or black Civic in the past decade has clear coat missing on horizontal surfaces

I can't remember the last time I saw a 5+ year old Honda product and said to myself Wow, nice paint

Not to say GM and Ford can do any better, my body shop guy bought his first house in the early 90s doing GM El-Po warranty repaints

They all struggle with paint quality- even BMW, friend repaired a side of an X5 and it looked good, move over to the factory side- not so much.
I have a late 80's chev which I had to razor off the top coats.

I don't know what they try to save on paint- but it catches up with them.

Back