good UOA/wear with sludge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may seem like a "newb" question to some, but I want to know if sludge can still form inside of an engine while showing good wear numbers within a UOA? My assumption is that it could because the sludge for the most part just clings and sticks in place to what it is attached too and doesn't mean the engine is running badly...but I may be wrong in that assumption. Is there any truth to my notion?

Still no replies... Can someone tell me if this was a stupid question or if it is just an unknown? If it is an unknown, I would certainly bring to light the common question of which oil is best, because if one can obtain good wear numbers in an engine but still have sludge being produced, I would certainly want the best oil that has the least chance to procdue this stuff. And then, it would also raise the question... Does a certain amount of sludge ever cause any problems?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
You make it sound like some oils will sludge and others wont.

Actually, I make it sound like I question the possibility that sludge can form within an engine while still allowing the oil in use to produce a good UOA, or at least, that is the question.

Care to answer instead of posting a "non-answer"?

Originally Posted By: strombony

I'm not sure people bother to take a UOA from an obviously sludged engine. But if anyone would it would be one of us.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Originally Posted By: strombony

I'm not sure people bother to take a UOA from an obviously sludged engine. But if anyone would it would be one of us.

I beg to differ...I beleive that most people getting UOA's on their engines have no idea whether or not it is producing sludge. I think that many on this forum have been lead to believe that because their UOA's are gleaming, they then think that the inside of their engines are spotless while happily running their oil as long as it takes for [censored] to come back to Earth.

I've drained the oil on two known engines with sludge and you could tell on both right away. It was different than the normal smooth black stream going into the oilpan and out onto the concrete.

Yes you can get good UOA's with a sludged engine but if your UOA's have Oxidation and Nitration numbers it will give you a tell tale sign of oil thickening and maybe sludge.

Hi,
strombony - Many years ago sludging was a very common thing. I have seen many engines sludged up (mainly using Castrol lubricants) achieve very long engine lives. In fact a much longer life than some of their brothers on other brands of lubricants and operated almost the same (taxis)

As well I have seen some engine manufacturer's quite paranoid over sludge in heavy diesel engines. The reason there was the slow closure of some galleries and oil starvation from clogged oil pump screens

IMHO the bottom line is to use the lubricant that is most likely to keep your engine's internals very clean!

So yes you will see good UOAs from sludged motors in certain cases

Last edited:
Actually Strombony, I have a similar worry rolling around in the vast empty spaces of my mind. Everybody uses UOA to justify long OCI, and or dino oil. Could these beliefs lead to undetected sludge? Is cleanliness as important as wear? Will the Browns ever get to the Super Bowl?.......or am I still suffering from the vast 3K OCI conspiracy.

Note I am in the middle of my first two synthetic 7500 OCI's on my vehicles. I am taking this extended OCI one day at a time and my support group is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back