Good toy for a baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a recommendation on a good toy for a new born baby. So, as everyone knows, BITOG is the go-to place for that kind of information.

I want something the babies like, not what Mom and Dad think is "adorable".

The stuff my kid liked has all been taken off the market by the CPSC it seems. The favorite was "red rings" neoprene rubber teething rings. Anything like that out there now?

A childs mobile to hang over the crib gives the child something to look at to keep them entertained.

If it has any type of motor (wind up spring or battery powered) to it to make it move it would be even better.

Last edited:
I have a three month old at home now. His favorite thing (aside from people's faces!) is his play mat. Amazon Link

The sounds it make aren't overbearing or stressful like some can be - for the baby OR the parents.

There are also "teethers" made of cloth with some sort of super crinkly plastic inside. My daughter's favorite from 4 years ago is now my son's favorite. Amazon Link

Sophie the giraffe. Definitely #1

Sophie link @ Target

Another one that we bought for ourselves, and have since given many away as gifts, is the "Tiny love super mat", which we got at amazon.

If this a gift the best thing for new baby who could care less about toys:

https://zutano.com/collections/baby-booties

We got them and were like okay. Then realized they were the only thing that the baby wore daily in winter and summer and never fell off. We give as gifts now and see them on the kids in pictures so parents actually use them.

A mobile is about it for a newborn. Some where between 3 and 6 months stuff they can handle without choking on. Picking them up and holding them is key too.

A brand new Mustang GT. You drive it and enjoy it until the baby's sixteenth birthday. You then present the keys and say I bought you this toy when you were just a little baby. Enjoy.

How about an engraved, silver baby rattle? The silver keeps bacteria from growing on it. There's a reason these were so popular many, many decades ago.

My opinion as a father of 3 little kids is to wait it out a bit and get them something later/for later. They're probably being inundated with stuff at the moment and the baby doesn't know the difference. Wait a year and get them something then. A personal favorite in our house is a cat piano made by the "B." toy company.

That or get them some 6-9 month outfits for when he/she's outgrown the infant stuff.

jeff

Newborns can't see past their noses and haven't figured out how to use their hands yet. So there are no toys for a newborn that are worth the effort of trying to get them to play with it. At about 2 weeks they can see high contrast things like ceiling fans against a white ceiling and that will keep them entertained for the few hours they stay awake during the day. Otherwise the general commotion of a house is plenty of stimulation.

Two month olds and older have the capacity and dexterity to enjoy toys. A classic rattle or something that hangs that they can swat or kick is usually something mine have liked early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back