Good torque wrenches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I need to replace my Craftsman torque wrench and I'm not having any luck finding any at the local Sears stores (even checked in a different city and no luck). I'm going to be getting one from online anyway so I thought I'd check around to see if there are any alternatives I should check out. I'm looking t o spend about $200.

Thanks!

Greg

Id go straight to snap-on for those prices. Craftsman still makes them though, Ive seen them at my sears.

Why do you need to replace it? Can it be recalibrated?

CDI branded torque wrenches are made by Snap-On and are very good. Precision Instruments (PI) are also excellent.

You can get a 3/8" or 1/2" drive click type torque wrench from CDI for about $120.

I like my Husky torque wrench from Home Depot.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id go straight to snap-on for those prices. Craftsman still makes them though, Ive seen them at my sears.

Why do you need to replace it? Can it be recalibrated?

Mine are all Snap-on (not that I use them much these days) The oldest is from the 60s. They can be recalibrated. Mine have been recalibrated a number of times.

speedy replies...thanks.

I didn't think the Craftsman wrenches were set up for that (can't recall where I heard that, though.

Also wasn't aware that Snap-On were available in the $200 range.

Greg

Follow Critics advice.

CDI is now owned by Snap On and you can get a CDI branded wrench MUCH cheaper than a Snap On. The mechanisms are the same, except you you will get a different ratchet with the CDI Brand.

Precision Instruments can also be had very cheap on the internet at places like Tooltopia. They used to be Snap On's major supplier until the CDI takeover and they still make a few models for Snap on.

If you are going to spend that much, it makes sense to buy from a company that specializes in that product.

Other considerations would be Proto and Sturdevant Richmont, but you might pay more.

The Precision Instruments split beam wrench is are awesome!

What size are you considering?

Precision Instrumemnts, CDI, SK are very good. Also the Armstrong torque wrenches seem to hold up well in the machine shop.

The KD, Armstrong, Sears, and NAPA wrenches are made in Georgia by JS Technology, a Danaher company. The cheaper SK looks like the Sears/Danaher ones, but I'm not sure about their better all metal ones.

Just passing on useless information.

One hurdle to overcome on torque wrench purchases is realizing that the less recognized,"no name" CDI and Precision Instrument ones are the industry leaders. Everyone only recognizes Craftsman, Snap-On, etc. and feel they need to buy one of those.

While working in Sears we rebuilt the head of one of the Shop SK torque wrenches (Yup not Craftsman) with a Craftsman ratchet rebuild kit.

again, thanks for the great info. The Precision Instruments sounds like a good bet (definitely the most positive comments in this thread). I'm still up in the air on the size but I'm leaning toward the 1/2in drive.

Shipping looks a little pricey too.

Greg

Horatio,

One thing about the split beam PI wrenches. They torque in a CW motion only. If you ever have a need to torque a left hand nut or bolt (CCW), the CDI wrench will be a better fit.

GeorgiaHybrid: good call and thanks for that (I would order the PI split beam otherwise).

I looked at the CDI wrenches and they look like what I'm after but the problem is that the local distributor wants over $300 (Canadian) for one which, I think is getting a little out of range for right now.

Any online sources for these that are cheaper and willing to ship to Canada? Failing that, I'm ordering a Craftsman Microtorq.

[censored] I have a hard time making decisions! :)

Thanks again!

Greg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back