Good torque wrenches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horatio,

Start searching on the net. Tooltopia, The Tool Warehouse, National Tool Warehouse and others are out there and most ship to Canada.

I have 5 CDI wrenches (1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 electronic strain gauge and 3/8 and 1/2 clicker) and they have always calibrated to spec when they are checked. I don't bang them around and they stay in their own drawer in the toolbox and in their cases. For the money, they are some of the best on the market.

They are basically the same as Snap-on wrenches (Snap-on owns them after all) and should last you years if you take care of them.

Wright Tools & JH Williams (also part of Snap-On) use CDI as their torque wrench supplier. The PI split-beam doesn't have to be reset to 0 but the CDI will.

What is the reason for having to replace your existing TW? Sears will calibrate them. In the US, it costs $49 + tax & shipping.

thanks again guys.

Since you asked twice I'll come clean - I ran over the handle of my Craftsman with our minivan. I THINK it was just the edge and not at the ratchet end but it's enough to make me question the tool (and the tool who didn't put it away properly). Because of that, I'd trust a new one more than one that "may have been damaged but probably not".

(for the record I do plan to take much better care of any such tool, it was a bit of stupidity on my part).

I second the recommendation of the Precision Instruments Split-Beam Torque Wrench. I recently purchased a 3/8" drive model for $106 and I have been very happy with it.

Originally Posted By: Horatio
thanks again guys.

Since you asked twice I'll come clean - I ran over the handle of my Craftsman with our minivan. I THINK it was just the edge and not at the ratchet end but it's enough to make me question the tool (and the tool who didn't put it away properly). Because of that, I'd trust a new one more than one that "may have been damaged but probably not".

(for the record I do plan to take much better care of any such tool, it was a bit of stupidity on my part).
Even I make mistakes!!!
cool.gif

I didn't realize that you had been asked already about what happened - not trying to bring painful memories back.
LOL.gif
The thing about dumb mistakes is that there are those that admit to them & those don't. You could still try the calibration route if the ratchet mechanism still works well. The worst they can say is it is not calibratable & then you would know. Of course, you may want to use this as an opportunity to get a new (and better) tool. I would probably fall into this camp.

OK I found a good deal on the CDI 1/2in drive 20 - 150ft lbs at

cditorquecanada.com

PLaced an order but they left me a message at home to confirm the part number before they ship it so I didn't quite make it in before the weekend. Already growing impatient (kid at Christmas :) )

Greg

If you'd like a new old stock 3/8" CDI clicker to go with it I'd ship you one. 30-250 inch pounds (2.5 - 20.8 ft-lbs).

$65 plus shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back