good time to buy riding mower ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been looking at getting a riding mower and wondered if fall would be a good time to find a deal on the last of this years models.

Originally Posted By: old1
usually

that is what I figured. would not get much use out of it now though. wonder if they broadcast the sales or do you have to keep calling/ stopping by ?

At the end of the season, they have to inventory stuff that didn't sell and put away until the following season. They don't focus on advertising this stuff. Their aim is to market products that are or will soon be in demand.

Make a few phone calls and discover what's available. You'd be surprised what kind of savings can be had by retailers looking to make room for current stock.

If it's a dealer machine, the best time is Feb/March on previous model year equipment, before the new model years roll out.

If you're talking big-box or Sears, you can find a bargain at any time. Just have to be at the right place at the right time.

Originally Posted By: JTK
If it's a dealer machine, the best time is Feb/March on previous model year equipment, before the new model years roll out.

If you're talking big-box or Sears, you can find a bargain at any time. Just have to be at the right place at the right time.

+1

The deals will be better at the big box stores where they have to make room for different seasonal inventory such as snow throwers. In the dealers the deals won't be as great until the next mowing season hits if they have some old models left over.

Check Craigslist for used machines as well. Often if someone is moving or planning on buying a new mower next season, they won't want to hold onto it over the winter.

thanks for the insight everybody. figured there will be some deals out there if I could be in the right place at the right time. will have to keep in tough with the price and see if there are any black friday deals if I do not see anything sooner. now the question is which brand . had my eye on JD or Husky any thoughts between the two ?

Regarding brand.

Many of the lower cost JDs, Husqvarnas etc. are nothing more than the same machines that are marketed as Craftsman. Not sure who builds them now but AYP manufactured many of the common brand name machines in the lower price range ($4k or less).

You'll be shelling out some serious money to get an actual JD built riding mower. If that's your intention, take a look at Kubota riding mowers. Excellent quality for less money compared to a JD built machine.

Riding mowers take up a lot of room. Retailers do not want these sitting around.Now is the best time.

The only thing is you may be stuck with the less popular models to buy. But they could still be some popular once as well.

One bargain instance I had was back in 2005. I was shopping for a rider and popped into to local OPE/Pool shop that sells various big brands and tons of commercial stuff. It was late Feb, early march. The counter help brought to my attention to a left-over 2004 Cub Cadet 2180, that they had on the showroom floor that they'd cut me a deal on. It had a 18hp vanguard, shaft drive, 42" deck. IIRC, I had them down to $1600-1700. I hesitated and went back 2 weeks later and it was gone. That's a $4500 mower today and was over $2K new at the time.

FWIW, I wound-up buying a 2005 Cub 2544 for $2K. Those are ~$5K today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back