Good Small Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I was looking into buying a used car and was looking at the Toy Yaris and Honda Fit, and I feel that they are WAY overpriced. I was looking at the Scion Xa, which I feel is reasonably priced. Because it is a Scion, do you guys know if it will be hard to find replacement parts, as they are not as popular as the Fit and Yaris?

You'll get the parts you need. Should be the same underneath as a Yaris.

I have always been a dan of the yaris 4dr sedan. But you're right, Japanese used cars are a poor deal.

I'd probably look for a late model cobalt xfe or whatever the high mpg trim was.

+1 ! Asian cars offer great value and reliability. I would avoid the Cobalt like the plague ! It was far from one of the batter small cars and experienced much more than it's fair share of problems.

If you wanna' buy new, Versa sedan.

I did an install on one the other day. It seemed bigger on the inside than a Focus or Civic. It was suprisingly roomy.

It's gutless, but hey, it's a cheap car. I don't know the Renault content.
21.gif

Used? I like the Focus, Spectra, (especially the Spectra5) and the HHR LS. The xA might actually be a little uglier than the xD. I'm sure it's a decent car but it just doesn't appeal to me.

I do have a couple of clients that have high mileage Suzuki Forenzas (GM/Korea ie: Daewoozukis) They don't appear to be the type that maintain their cars well and yet they are still running. Much to my suprise.

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
+1 ! Asian cars offer great value and reliability. I would avoid the Cobalt like the plague ! It was far from one of the batter small cars and experienced much more than it's fair share of problems.

Cobalts are boring, yes, but they're also cheap and reliable (aside from the steering rattle that everyone has).

I was thinking about the Suzuki's but once again was concerned about parts availability since they are no longer made

Originally Posted By: NateDN10

Cobalts are boring, yes, but they're also cheap and reliable (aside from the steering rattle that everyone has).

Agree. Dont know why my post got a +1, but IMO Japanese cars used are a POOR value. If you have your heart set on Japanese, just get a few less options and buy new, IMO.

Originally Posted By: parimento1
I was thinking about the Suzuki's but once again was concerned about parts availability since they are no longer made

The Daewoozukis use a variant of the FamilyI Ecotec like the Cruze LS. But I have no idea how many parts interchange.

It was the Chevrolet Optra in Canada and Mexico and the Lacetti in Europe. There are parts out there. I just don't know about in the United States.

Check again.....Quattro Pete got the "+1"

And you're surely entitled to your opinion...but....the
FACTS point out the value and TROUBLE FREE performance
of most Asian cars initially and over long periods of time.

Not saying others can't, but the historical and factual trends
say they don't !

Originally Posted By: NateDN10

Agreed. Check out used car prices. The Cobalt is about the lowest cost used car out there. They're no status symbol, but they're very basic and have basically problem-free engines and transmission.

I owned a 2007 to ~40Kmi and wished I still owned it. Front-end clunk on them is typically bad control arm bushings and yes, there can be some steering shaft noise that's common on lots of GMs.

In basic 2.2L/4T45E AT format, highway fuel economy is about 32mpg.

Joel

Last edited:
FWIW....the top rated small used cars by Consumers Reports
are the Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, and Ford Focus. The
Accent is rated "better than average" also......and....the
Cobalt os rated "worse than average"......all based on very substantial consumer input.

I have an '08 Pontiac G5 - same as a Cobalt. Bought it brand new. It now has 36K on it with no troubles; although I only drive it in the summer.

Consumer Reports never asked me what I thought, unfortunately...

Originally Posted By: parimento1
How do you guys feel about the Hyundai Accent??

The older ones have not too great mpg. I asked a guy in a gas station and he said 31mpg. He also indicated the engine runs @ > 4K on the highway.

The new ones seem to be styled nicely and are rated 40 mpg IIRC.

I'm going to look @ them when I replace my !echo!

Originally Posted By: stevejones
I have an '08 Pontiac G5 - same as a Cobalt. Bought it brand new. It now has 36K on it with no troubles; although I only drive it in the summer.

Consumer Reports never asked me what I thought, unfortunately...

They've never asked me about any of my vehicles, either. Guess that means my experience means nothing to CR.

Check again.....Quattro Pete got the "+1"

And you're surely entitled to your opinion...but....the
FACTS point out the value and TROUBLE FREE performance
of most Asian cars initially and over long periods of time.

Not saying others can't, but the historical and factual trends
say they don't !

Got the "+1" now
smile.gif

Im not denying the trouble free performance of asian cars initially (though were hit and miss, as our 91 corolla and 94 integra werent that great while our 94 previa has been absolutely exceptional).

What Im saying is that often in the secondary market, Asian cars (toyota/honda) are POOR values compared to a new one.

Take a $3k discount on a honda for 3 years and 30k miles? No thanks! Ill just buy a new one!

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

The new ones seem to be styled nicely and are rated 40 mpg IIRC.

But if its only 40 MPG, whynot go for the elantra and have the same MPG in a bigger car?

The accent should be a 50 MPG car, IMO. If focus and elantra can do 40, the accent doesnt bring much to the table besides being an absolute stripped low-rent transport. But then why not make it even cheaper and put a lower cost, smaller engine in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back