Good Small Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

The new ones seem to be styled nicely and are rated 40 mpg IIRC.

But if its only 40 MPG, whynot go for the elantra and have the same MPG in a bigger car?

$$$, now you are sounding like Wan.

Last edited:
Kia Soul? I know I would take a close look at those if I was looking for something low cost.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The new ones seem to be styled nicely and are rated 40 mpg IIRC.

But if its only 40 MPG, whynot go for the elantra and have the same MPG in a bigger car?

$$$, now you are sounding like Wan.

It seems that Hyundai is trying to do too much with the current Elantra, so nothing got done well. The engine is harsh, the ride is pretty rough, the handling is boat-like, and the interior looks nice in photos but feels cheap in person. The trunk opening is useless for anything taller than a pilot's carryon. Lastly, the Elantra isn't doing too well in the real world for MPG.

I'd lean toward the Accent over the Elantra since it's cheaper, and likely does better in the real world on fuel economy.

Compared to a Corolla a Yaris is a pretty dreadful car. I have rented both and a Corolla feels like a decent car. I think MPG is similar so I don't get the Yaris except for price.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
+1 ! Asian cars offer great value and reliability. I would avoid the Cobalt like the plague ! It was far from one of the batter small cars and experienced much more than it's fair share of problems.

Cobalts are boring, yes, but they're also cheap and reliable (aside from the steering rattle that everyone has).

+2

My Cobalt has done just fine. Besides needing some new control arm brushings, it has been trouble free for the most part. (Just the little stuff.)

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
FWIW....the top rated small used cars by Consumers Reports
are the Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, and Ford Focus. The
Accent is rated "better than average" also......and....the
Cobalt os rated "worse than average"......all based on very substantial consumer input.

I find that book pretty much unless anyways....but that is another story...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Kia Soul? I know I would take a close look at those if I was looking for something low cost.

+1

Got the looks....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

+1

Got the looks....

... only a mother could love.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

+1

Got the looks....

Seriously. Drove one of those around and... no thanks.

The rio is cute, the forte coupe is a nice looking car (havent driven it), though MPG may be lousy...

I would'nt discount the Suzuki's. SX4 sedan or crossover, or the new Kiashi. Most dealers around offer deep discounts and I have always had good results with suzuki's . They seem to last a long time.

Parts could be an issue but no matter what you buy, its always taking a chance. Every maker puts out the occasional lemon.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

+1

Got the looks....

Lol....

I've got a 2010 Suzuki Kizashi in my driveway. The car is impressive and Suzuki pulled out the stops when they designed it. I've seen 35 mpg on the highway (with CVT and AWD). This is my first CVT and despite some initial concerns am liking the smooth power delivery now that I'm used to it. I gave my neighbor a ride to pick up her new 2012 Hyundai Elantra on Saturday (dealer was 3 hours away). The car was OK...she got the value package (or whatever it's called) that added 16 in. alloys, bluetooth, foglights and a few other gee gaws. I have to agree that the interior of the car DOES look cheaper in person than in the photos I've seen. The seats look "lumpy" to me and they're soft...not sure of the comfort for long drives. Compared to my Kizashi the quality of materials is a little lacking. She already has to take it back due to a rattle noise when idling (probably nothing serious as it seems to run fine otherwise). More importantly she likes it and is a devotee of Hyundai products (this is her fourth).

Kizashi is the one with the huge angular dual muffler in the back, right? The car does look sharp! Does it come with regular automatic and fwd or AWD/CVT is the only model?

Mazda 2 or Mazda 3. I have 44k trouble free miles on my Mazda 3. Has never once been to the dealer for a single thing in 4 years.
Knock on wood.
When it comes time to get rid of my 96 Accord, Mazda will be my first stop. And hopefully the last.

I'd second a Mazda3....if you don't mind the front grill. They are a lot of car for the money...and proven reliable. They get less gas mileage than the competitors however. They should be releasing the new SkyActiv engines for the 2012 model year in a month or two and those are supposed to get 40mpg.

yea, I love mazdas but am looking at the used market. I am leaning toward the Scion Xa. I need small for parking reasons...the gas mileage is an added bonus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back