Good RX

Lots to think about here....

Anyone have any clue about how much massive and I mean massive amount of money it cost for a pharmaceutical company to do research and development and testing of the drugs they may or may not end up producing??

It is a whole, whole whole lot of money at times.... Billions of dollars at times....

And that companies only have a certain amount of time in order to make that money back....

Plus.... That the government being involved does not lower prices... It has the opposite effect.... Raises the prices and cost greatly... Not saying that is all bad or should not happen... Just saying that what a company can charge the government is a lot more than they could legitimately charge a individual person.

And.... How many people know that many of these "terrible" drug companies give away their medications for "free"...?????

I got a medication for zero cost... And that drug was $1200 a month in 1999... My family and I found out that from someone at the MS society. That same drug now is $5,000 a month.

Are certain medications very, very, very, very expensive ??

Absolutely. No doubt.

Are there possible remedies to that circumstance at times??

Yes. At times in certain circumstances.

But not all...

There's more in play here than "bad" pharmaceutical companies. Much, much, much more.

Should answers be sought after and found for people who "make" too much money yet cannot legitimately afford certain medications and are caught in between everything and everyone??

Absolutely.

People in this country... Get care... And get medications... I had a classmate in school in her early 20s diagnosed with ALL... She had zero health insurance... She got care and all the medications she ever needed... And those medications were super, super expensive... She survived thank goodness.

And when it comes to pain management medications... It has gotten a good bit crazy...

Pain management became a huge focus for people's stay in the hospital. And the reimbursement to the hospitals was based upon HCAP scores which included pain management as one of the key markers for that reimbursement money...

I believe drug testing makes great sense and is a very good thing to do. I get tested routinely had well. Doesn't bother me at all. I have taken 14 of those tests. Pain with my illness is a common day to day experience. Some days better than others.

It has become too difficult for doctors and nurses to get what they need at times... That was very, very frustrating at the high end retirement center I had worked at.

I only saw maybe 4-6 patients ever... Who were really in trouble with pain medications... Well less than 1% of the many, many, many people I cared for.
One crazy lady thought she would be discharged home with a PICC line left in her upper arm.... Yeah... That didn't happen. It was pulled out. She was nasty and a crazed individual.

Yet many innocent people have a hard time getting their medications they need or get treated like garbage because of a very miniscule amount of people with issues.

There is a balance with circumstances... And we need to find that right balance in order to do what is right and fair for everyone involved.

We are way, way, way out of balance in many areas of caring for people in this nation.

Anyone have any clue about how much massive and I mean massive amount of money it cost for a pharmaceutical company to do research and development and testing of the drugs they may or may not end up producing??

It is a whole, whole whole lot of money at times.... Billions of dollars at times....
The counter argument is that they often spend more on marketing.
So, I agree with your point overall - the problems are more than pharmaceutical companies. But they deserve a good bit of the blame.
The governments part in the problem is arguably due to lobbying done on behalf of pharma.

I've used Good RX for about 8 years. At the time I started it was a cheap cardboard card on the counter at my Dr's office. She said it worked and I've used it ever since. When I see the original price and "my" price on the nine prescriptions I take......WOW! Yes it does work and works well. Other than Medicare I have no other insurance.

Lots to think about here....

And that companies only have a certain amount of time in order to make that money back....

Plus.... That the government being involved does not lower prices... It has the opposite effect.... Raises the prices and cost greatly... Not saying that is all bad or should not happen... Just saying that what a company can charge the government is a lot more than they could legitimately charge a individual person.

And.... How many people know that many of these "terrible" drug companies give away their medications for "free"...?????

I got a medication for zero cost... And that drug was $1200 a month in 1999... My family and I found out that from someone at the MS society. That same drug now is $5,000 a month.

Are certain medications very, very, very, very expensive ??

Absolutely. No doubt.

Are there possible remedies to that circumstance at times??

Yes. At times in certain circumstances.

But not all...

There's more in play here than "bad" pharmaceutical companies. Much, much, much more.

Should answers be sought after and found for people who "make" too much money yet cannot legitimately afford certain medications and are caught in between everything and everyone??

Absolutely.

My wife works for big pharma. Yes the R&D is expensive, and yes when the patent is not yet expired the treatment is very very expensive (think 30k to 100k for something that cost $50 to produce in scale). Is it the fault of the big pharmas? Yes and no. They are a business and they need the income to justify the expense and risk, and they will take everything to make it worth their investment include buying out small R&D companies, giving out free meds to those with low income to remove the political pressure, lobbying so they can get laws that favors their earnings, adding 2 old drugs to patent it again, marketing a new similar drug to doctors instead of older drugs that are now out of patents.

The problem is the politics. It becomes life and death with politics and money. If you want to save every last person and pay for every last drug they come out with then it will be expensive. If you want to make it affordable you have to draw a line and refuse to pay for expensive treatment, and someone will die (a small percentage). This is why health care is always a political problem and it is not easy to solve.

My fellow Canadian members, here in the US we are always hearing how well your medicines and pharmacies are. We hear that you have some of the lowest medicine prices. And, is it true that the Canadian government doesn't mess around with your medicine prices?
If l missed something, or stated something incorrect, please straighten me out on it. I'm sure other US members here would really like to hear how well your pharmacies work there in Canada.
Thank You!

Back