Good replacement starter for 02 Accord V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my 02 Accord V6 is showing signs of needing a starter. It won't start about 4 times this year and a long wait or light tap on the starter got the car started. I don't think it is a fuel pump or spark plug as the car runs smoothly,if you ignore the water pump going bad noise, on 3-5 hours trips.

I am looking to get something from Advance or AutoZone in case I have to return it for whatever reason. Any good manufucatures out there as I need it to last more than 3 years. How much would OEM part be? I know OEM should last much longer but the warranty would be 1 year or so. I am having a friend installing it for me as I don't trust shop to use good parts and they may try to come up with other repairs.

Called the dealership and they want $545.56 out the door with core returned.

I heard Bosch is good. But I prefer dealing w/ local shop if I have to bring it even though it could be unlikely.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The only brand I even consider is Denso. I replaced the starter on both my Sienna and the Accord with a Denso remanufactured one and they have been flawless so far.

DON'T turn in your starter until the new has proved reliable. I would be going over the connections and making them new before I put a wrench to the starter. I caused myself useless work big time recently with the RAT Do end to end checks and open every connection and clean it before removing the starter.

If the starter is not rotating the engine , it has nothing to do with spark plugs or fuel pump .

Go to RockAuto.com . Looks like from $ 182.70 to $ 79.79 , plus freight .

No way I would pay $ 545.56 .

Originally Posted by kschachn
The only brand I even consider is Denso. I replaced the starter on both my Sienna and the Accord with a Denso remanufactured one and they have been flawless so far.

Thanks. How long ago was that?

I found a new Bosch online at Advance and with coupon, it is 155 shipped to my house. That's the same price as Amazon but Advance is out of stock. I hate to have to ship defect items back, especially on things such as starter because it'll be out of a car for at least a week or longer until new part arrived, then we're talking about waiting for someone to help.

Let me see how much is for Denso at Advance.

That's the name I can't use for another three months and sixteen days. Very good products. Especially like their oil filter, which other members think stinks.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
If the starter is not rotating the engine , it has nothing to do with spark plugs or fuel pump .

Go to RockAuto.com . Looks like from $ 182.70 to $ 79.79 , plus freight .

No way I would pay $ 545.56 .

One wonders how much stealership charges to do the work if they charges that much for a re-manufactured part.

I ended up ordering from Rock Auto as well as Advance, which I need to call to cancel as it only has re-manufactured part while Rock Auto is a new part with lifetime waranty by Bosch at cheaper price. Advance's new Bosch is only a little more expensive but is out of stock. The re-manufactured stuff is only warrantied for 2 years, which is a little short.

Waiting for delivery and install it. Then go on to timing belt (stupid concept) and water pump.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by M1Accord
Thanks. How long ago was that?

I found a new Bosch online at Advance and with coupon, it is 155 shipped to my house. That's the same price as Amazon but Advance is out of stock. I hate to have to ship defect items back, especially on things such as starter because it'll be out of a car for at least a week or longer until new part arrived, then we're talking about waiting for someone to help.

I don't know exactly without looking it up. Maybe 3 years on the Accord and 4 on the Sienna.

The Bosch starter I just got for my BMW was remanufactured in the US and looked great too. It has been on for just a short while though, maybe two months.

It's too bad that the rebuild kits are hard to find because it's typically and easy repair just changing the contacts which wear. We used to fix a ton of starters back in the days for Japanese engines with about $20 worth of parts and put the starter back into service for the rest of the life of the customers engine.

Reman Bosch or reman Denso, period.

BTW: don't trust rebuild kits these days, esp. for alternators. Their quality can be all over the place (chinese made bearings and diodes will burn out long before your battery dies off)

Q.

One thing that came with the Bosch remanufactured starter was two years of free roadside assistance and towing. The problem doesn't have to be the starter it can be anything, and the rest of the restrictions were pretty minor.

I'll take it for a 24-year old BMW.

Reman Bosch/Denso/Mitsu(if you can find one via Worldpac). There ain't too much of a difference between all the parts store any more since the rotating electrical business has been more or less consolidated between BBB and Remy with a Chinese player for "value" line stuff. The big push these days is Chinese new from Remy or TYC.

Honda used Mitsuba/CME or Denso for the most part with some Mitsubishi. Denso starters are easily refreshed with new contacts but with older ones I'd be concerned with brushes, commutators/armatures and bearings.

^^^^^

Good advice here in my opinion by kschachn.

The Denso's are your best option, but they are a rebuilt starter and the warranty is short. I have installed 4 in the last 12 months and 1 has already failed.

Originally Posted by PepperJackCheese
RockAuto is the way to go.

Waiting for delivery now. I ended up getting a new Bosch for the lifetime warranty. I didn't see the roadside assistance service anywhere though.

I can't believe they're charging over $500 at dealership for a manufacturer starter, which they probably would get from RockAuto.

Originally Posted by M1Accord
Waiting for delivery now. I ended up getting a new Bosch for the lifetime warranty. I didn't see the roadside assistance service anywhere though.

The one I got for my BMW didn't say that on RM European's website either but there was a brochure in the box.

I did find this online:

https://www.boschautoparts.com/documents/101512/0/0/80bf46cc-948f-4294-97d5-3a52cceaee8c

Note that the text says they will provide the assistance if the car fails to start for any reason. That is consistent with the "official program terms" they sent me when I signed up. It didn't give any restrictions on the cause.

Recently replaced one in a 2000 Accord, 4 cylinder. Got the Denso rebuilt from rockauto, it was about $100 after core exchange. So far so good. I was getting an intermittent no start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back