Good places to buy tires?

I usually get my tires at Sams Club. I have no complaints about the service, but they don't take appointments and seems to have a huge line and are understaffed. Their selection is rather limited. What I do like is their warranty. I have use them to rotate the tires and use them to replace a tire under warranty.

Because of the long lines, I have been thinking about other places. There is a discount tire nearby and they appear to have more tire selections. How are they? Do they have similar rotation and warranty policies?

Paul

I have been happy with Discount Tire, since they came into the KC Metro about 2014. Gave up on Sam's Club and Costco for the reasons you outlined. My Discount Tire takes appointments and that works well for lessening time spent getting balance and rotations done. If you can, look for their Memorial Day sale.

I've used Walmart the last couple of times I bought tires. Free shipping on the orders.

I do have tire machines at home though, so I don't have to worry about mounting and balancing.

Check auto dealers.Sometimes they have prices that are amazing.
A Ford store gave me an all inclusive price on 4 Pirelli's for my Accord.
The price was so good that the guy at DT told me to take that price, they could not match it.
MOPAR dealers are running buy 3 get 1 free.
Could be a good deal, might be a royal rip.
Walmart.com can sometimes have good prices as well.
I've found that sometimes the best prices are the places you don't check.

i look for the best price on line for what i want +have my local indy carefully mount + balance for $10 ea. he gets all my work but simple oil changes + rotation

I do it the other way, pick the make and model of tire, then price-shop at the major sellers. Last set I got from Tire Buyer, who shipped from a local distributor, same as if I'd bought them at some other places online, then you pick the local installer you want.

Installer prices can vary widely, sometimes based on what "package" it is and sometimes not. I used Pep Boys because they were cheap, but that was a mistake. They deliberately made we wait over 3 hours after telling me it would be 30 minutes so I stayed there waiting instead of leaving and coming back, while they piddled around doing nothing for the first 2.5 hours. Literally, I could see them through the window, not doing any work on any vehicle.

Last edited:
What level of quality are you looking for? I go for cheap-to-midrange and get the cheapies on amazon/walmart/ebay and the midrange on discount tire direct during one of their sales.

Sam's Club only has so many brands and models in store. but there are more offerings that you can order on-line from Sam's and have it delivered to the store. But I agree about the staffing.

No Discount Tire near me so my favorite is Costco. They also take appointments so there's no long line. They typically have the best price and do the same free rotation/balancing with a 5 year road hazard on all the tires they sell. That basically beats all the other tire stores around here, either they don't offer the free road hazard or they don't do the free balancing.

For a long time I've been a satisfied customer at TireRack.com. They have a great selection, competitive prices, ratings, nice web site, and coordinate with other places for mounting/balancing.

I have tried all the regular dealers; Sam's, WalMart, Big-O, etc., but nothing beats a REPUTABLE local, independent tire shop in my opinion. I have been buying tires from and having tire service performed at a local family run shop for about 10 years now. They take care of return customers who they recognize way better that the nationally owned chains. My shop's prices are competitive and often times better, but I don't mind paying a little bit more for less hassle when dealing with a warranty issue or getting a patch job.

**I shop online for the tire I want and give them a call. They can always get the tire I want in two days or less and usually price match the online price for me.

Paul, what is your thoughts on "good"?

If good means lowest cost, I've found if I mail order tires in advance and schedule an appointment with a local repair shop I like that also does tires and will mount/balance carry-ins, I save $100-150 per set of 4 doing it that way and I trust the shop.

If good means once stop gets it done convenience, I'd go to a tires only shop.

Independent Tire dealers. They want you to come back and will work with you if you aren't happy or need warranty work.

There's a Farm & Fleet in Elgin. Suburban Tire been around a long time and has several locations. I don't buy the cheapest tires. I look for the best value. I'm in an area surrounded by corn and soybeans and we have some good independents.

Costco.

The corp's tire service varies some between stores, but they stand behind the tires they sell and service.

For example, they installed 1 each E-range BFG All-Terrain KO2 and 3 each C-range BFG All-Terrain KO2's on my 1/2-ton Silverado. I brought this to their attention and they promptly replaced the whole set of 4 tires -- no questions asked.

Yesterday, I had a set of ADVANTAGE T/A SPORT LT installed on my Equinox at Costco. It was a 1-hour service. I like.

I'm a happy camper with the Costco Tire Department.

Last edited:
Back