Good OTC wax that won't stain black trim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a decent over the counter wax that won't stain my black plastic trim?

I'm just looking for something that I can apply by hand. I don't have any buffers, just good old elbow grease.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: K20FA5
Is there a decent over the counter wax that won't stain my black plastic trim?

I'm just looking for something that I can apply by hand. I don't have any buffers, just good old elbow grease.

Thanks!

Turtle Wax ICE does not stain. But it is not a great product.

If you really want to take car of your paint, clay bar it, polish it, wax/seal it with quality products like Auto glym, P21s, dodo juice, zymol, ect. . . and either take your time around plastics, or tape them up.

If you want water to bead up on your paint for a month and not worry about black plastic, Turtle Wax ICE will work more than fine.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
You want to avoid cleaner wax - that is what stains plastic

A lot of cheaper OTC wax will stain trim. Meguiars Ultimate wax is one that does not; it simply wipes right off.

What is dealer wax?

I am definitely with you about using a wax that doesn't stain trim. I definitely don't want to tape stuff up and I don't want to go through the painful ordeal of trying to clean the stained trim. The only waxes I've used are Griot's and Collinite and neither stain trim but they are not available OTC (with very few exceptions). Collinite will outlast any other wax and has a great shine and a great price. The Griots doesn't last as long but IME has a slightly better glow to it and right now they have free shipping.

Originally Posted By: Capa
I am definitely with you about using a wax that doesn't stain trim. I definitely don't want to tape stuff up and I don't want to go through the painful ordeal of trying to clean the stained trim. The only waxes I've used are Griot's and Collinite and neither stain trim but they are not available OTC (with very few exceptions). Collinite will outlast any other wax and has a great shine and a great price. The Griots doesn't last as long but IME has a slightly better glow to it and right now they have free shipping.

Some Advance auto parts locations carry the collinite iw845.

Originally Posted By: walk23
Black Magic about $8

The last time I bought Black Magic, it was being closed out by AutoZone @ less than $2 a bottle. It worked OK, but nothing outstanding.

Why OTC? For as often as one buys wax, just get some good stuff. I get this wax/polish called Vitreo which is used by dealers and is about $20 a quart. They say one year finish, but I usually get 5 months. It does come right off of rubber and plastic. It's not greasy like Ice. 3M makes some good ones too.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
Mother FX Syn Wax, Megs NTX, Megs Ultimate, TW ICE, etc,etc.

NXT stains trim like the dickens. Megs Ultimate advertises it wont. Mother's FX (my fav) definately will not stain.

Originally Posted By: hummdrumm

NXT stains trim like the dickens. Megs Ultimate advertises it wont. Mother's FX (my fav) definately will not stain.

You are correct, not sure what I was thinking???

Megs Ultimate advertises it wont

It won't. Works great.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Duragloss 105 or collinite 845.

I agree with the Duragloss. Excelent product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Russell
Originally Posted By: mikered30
Duragloss 105 or collinite 845.

I agree with the Duragloss. Excelent product.

I also agree.

You are correct, not sure what I was thinking???

Is this the liquid or the paste? I was under the impression that none of the synthetic polishes did this. I love TW ICE but was hoping that NXT may be a little better as I have loved any of the Meguiar's products I have tried.

NXT Liquid or paste will stain. Instructions on the containers state to avoid contact with trim. I like NXT but it streaked on occasion when I used it. The FX is easier to use with similar results IMO. Trim staining is the least of my conerns for me as I have been able to avoid contact with trim. I still use cleaner waxes but do so carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back