good ole wally world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today at my local walmart I saw their 5 quart jugs of maxlife for 12.68 each, however right next to them was a 5 quart value pack which consists of 5 one quart jugs in a big box for 10.50. I thought about this for a minute and got a headache.

It just seems like a big waste of packaging to me, plus more garbage and you dont get the container to put your used oil in when your done; all for less money.

I dunno, maybe its just me.

I presume it's sleazy marketing by Valvoline, not Walmart. They're hoping that either you don't notice it's only 5 quarts in a 6 quart package and/or you can't do math in your head. The people who came up with the idea will most likely be promoted, get bonuses and moved onto the fastrack to be the next Ken Lay or Jeff Skilling.
freak2.gif

I've seen a lot of cases at WM where the 5-quart jug actually cost a little more than the sum of 5-quart bottles of the same oil. You would EXPECT a 5-quart jug to offer a little more value, but it's not about selling the packaging at WM, it's about getting rid of what they need to get rid of. I've never seen bottles packaged in 5s for sale, but it's likely something they got a good deal on in the purchasing department, so they snapped it up and put it on the shelves. Just be sure the little calculator in your head has fresh batteries. :)

Head??? Nah, I use the calculator feature on my cell phone. It's saved me quite a bit by figuring out the unit cost.

quote:

Originally posted by CBDFrontier06:
I've seen a lot of cases at WM where the 5-quart jug actually cost a little more than the sum of 5-quart bottles of the same oil. You would EXPECT a 5-quart jug to offer a little more value...

I notice this everywhere, not just at WM. My local grocery is a good example of where buying in quantity doesn't necessarily insure lowest unit costs.

take a look at the sugar in wally world. I know at one time it was cheaper to buy 2 5lb bags. than to buy 1 10lb bag. maybe your paying for more convenice. after all its easier to carry a jug of 5 QT than a box of 5 ind. quarts in a box

quote:

Originally posted by schwartr88:
Today at my local walmart I saw their 5 quart jugs of maxlife for 12.68 each, however right next to them was a 5 quart value pack which consists of 5 one quart jugs in a big box for 10.50. I thought about this for a minute and got a headache.

It just seems like a big waste of packaging to me, plus more garbage and you dont get the container to put your used oil in when your done; all for less money.

I dunno, maybe its just me.

I like the single quart jugs seeing the last bit I can throw in the trunk for topups.

Plus it is hard to measure exact amounts through a big jug.

I've been squeezing the last bit of oil out of my quart bottles by leaving them for a few hours upside down and draining into a gallon jug. 4 quart bottles= 1/4th quart of oil. Amazing.

Why do I only find 5 Qt jugs at WM? I have checked the local Advance, Auto Zone, and O'Reily's and they only have 1 Gal jugs(except as below). Also at Advance yesterday, they had Castrol GTX for $1.68/qt and 5 qt jugs on special for approx. $8.80. Didn't add up so I bought the qts.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
I usually like big jugs.

So do I.
lol.gif
My cars both take 4 1/2 quarts, so I don't bother with the 5 quart jugs, or even the 4 quart. Like has been mentioned up top, I like to put a quart in the trunk for top ups myself. Hard to do with the jugs that alot of oil companies are putting out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back