Good oil to use in my 2012 328i 2.0L DI turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either one of these will work just fine in your car.

Or you can get M1 0w-40 for $25/5qt jug at Walmart. I've heard Walmart also started carrying Castrol 0w-40 for the same price.

Thanks! I've used M1 0w40 in my old merc and it seemed to work well, but I only did 5k OCIs. I'm leaning towards the Pennzoil but that's mostly based on what I've read here on the forums!

Last edited:
On a slightly different note can anyone recommend a good oil filter to use with this car? Preferably something I can buy off of amazon, I'm WAAAAY too lazy to drive anywhere.

Originally Posted By: mdchaser
On a slightly different note can anyone recommend a good oil filter to use with this car? Preferably something I can buy off of amazon, I'm WAAAAY too lazy to drive anywhere.

Mann or Mahale. I am using a few K&N's and then will go back to Mann or Mahale. Amazon sells them in a 3pk. perfect!

FWIW - I went the M1 0-40 for my 08. Can't go wrong with either.

OT: I'm confused; I thought BMW model #'s are based on the engine displacement; i.e 328 = 3 series 2.8L, 750 = 7 series 5.0L Did I miss some sort of change?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
OT: I'm confused; I thought BMW model #'s are based on the engine displacement; i.e 328 = 3 series 2.8L, 750 = 7 series 5.0L Did I miss some sort of change?

For 12 and newer the new base model is a turbo 4 cylinder at only 2 liters, they stopped putting the displacement in the model numbers a while ago. The 335 has a 3 liter 6 so I don't know that they use that nomenclature on any of their current models (well the 320 has a 2 liter so maybe on a few of them).

Don't you still get free service? I'd just do intermediate changes with oe BMW oil. They will do a freebie once a year if not hitting miles.

Hasn't been like that for a while with BMW and Mercedes. Their logic is that the smaller turbo engine will feel like a 2.8L...

Originally Posted By: dparm

Hasn't been like that for a while with BMW and Mercedes. Their logic is that the smaller turbo engine will feel like a 2.8L...

Jalopnik just had an article on it today:
http://jalopnik.com/mercedes-is-doing-too-much-displacement-compensation-on-1540848992

Do this:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Don't you still get free service? I'd just do intermediate changes with oe BMW oil. They will do a freebie once a year if not hitting miles.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Do this:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Yes I do but I want to do two oil changes a year instead of just one so I need to find an oil to use for the intermediate changes. The BMW oil runs almost $10/quart so it's more expensive than what I can get from amazon, are there any specific benefits? I've heard it's a specific formula from Castrol but the euro formula comes pretty darn close.

Originally Posted By: 209paulc
Think with your dip stick....give Castrol 0w40 a try

Haha, if this weren't a public forum...

Jalopnik just had an article on it today:
http://jalopnik.com/mercedes-is-doing-too-much-displacement-compensation-on-1540848992

Good article!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back