Good oil in canada???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading here that there is a good synthetic oil avaible in canada but not avaible in the US, anyone know what im talking about?

If you do, how does it stack up next to M1 5-30?

Also how much is it?

And is it legal to cross wht border with?

Thanks

You are probably referring to Esso Extra XD30. It is a pure synthetic desgned for diesels, but it also has an "SL" rating for gasoline engines. It has a very high total base number and, as such, could qualify for exteded drains (because it has a greater capacity to neutralize acids). It is one of the least expensive pure syntetics available in Canada. I find that it is equal to M1. Available in 0W30 or 0W40. I recently paid $3.90 per litre, about US $3.10 per quart.

I think the oil they are referring to is Esso XD-3 0W-30 and 0W-40 synthetic. It is a HDEO so I think it is better than Mobil 1 5W-30. As for crossing the border with it, be brave, be daring and if you are caught, I will deny any knowledge of this communication.
grin.gif
Really I don't think there would be any problem buying in Canada and bringing it back to NY. There might be some other members who can give better advice about that.

quote:

Originally posted by Frank D:
I think the oil they are referring to is Esso XD-3 0W-30 and 0W-40 synthetic. It is a HDEO so I think it is better than Mobil 1 5W-30. As for crossing the border with it, be brave, be daring and if you are caught, I will deny any knowledge of this communication.
grin.gif
Really I don't think there would be any problem buying in Canada and bringing it back to NY. There might be some other members who can give better advice about that.

From a purely practical point of view, if you buy enough, you might be able to get a refund on the goods & services tax.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/nonresidents/visitors/tax-e.html

quote:

To qualify for a tax refund, you have to meet the following conditions:

* you are not a resident of Canada at the time you apply for a refund;
* you purchased eligible goods for personal use, eligible short term accommodation or both;
* you paid GST/HST on these purchases;
* you have original receipts (we do not accept photocopies, debit or credit card slips;
* you have Proof of Export for the eligible goods you purchased in Canada;
* the total of your purchase amounts (before taxes) must be at least CAN$200;
* each receipt for eligible goods shows a minimum total purchase amount (before taxes) of CAN$50; and
* the goods are removed from Canada within 60 days of the date you bought them.

"Proof of Export" is a fancy term meaning you've got to allow inspection of your purchases to show that they're actually leaving Canada. I doubt a half dozen cases of motor oil is going to freak out a border agent. Your biggest worry might be US Customs. US Customs allows for $800 duty free every 30 day period.

Esso XD-3 Synthetic 0w30

Avsolutely great oil and probably even better than GC.

Plus it is almost half the price.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
Esso XD-3 Synthetic 0w30

Avsolutely great oil and probably even better than GC.

I wouldn't say that. We haven't seen any evidence so far which shows that Esso 0w30 gives less engine wear than GC.

Canadian have no hassle bringing in goods from the US, up to a certan threshhold, providing they've been across the line for at least 48 hours, unless it has changed in the last couple of years. I suspect it works the same way if a US citizen. Check with your Customs. I suspect there is a time requirement as well. Things have opened up since the implementation of the Free Trade Agreement a number of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back