Good oil for turbo Subaru?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
This is obviously my first post and my question is what oil would perform the best in my application. I currently am on a cleaning stage with auto-rx and 5w30YB. Just wondering what would be a wise choice after the rinse stage. My car is an 04 STi with around 92,000 miles and has a turbo back exhaust and tuned ecu with a boost up.

Turbo Subarus seem to really like a thick 30 wt or a thin 40. Any of the above oils would be worth giving a try. Don't get me wrong, even say SynPower 5w-30 would be good, but for some reason the UOAs of thick 30wts or thing 40s seem to do great.

Personally if it was my vehicle I would give the Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic, or 0w-40 M1 a try, and then do UOA on the second fill to see how its doing

Another vote for the Rotella from me, based soley on the good UOAs I have seen in the UOA section. I have not seen them all however. I suggest searching/scouring the UOA section for subi UOAs. There has been quite a few of them posted.

Thanks for the help. I had read a lot of good things about the Rotella but I guess I just had to ask anyway.

I'm using Rotella in my Cabriolet, works great!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
Pardon my ignorance but the "GC" you refer to is the 0w30 Syntec?

No problem, but check out our abbeviations thread, stickied here.

GC is an abbreviation for "German Castrol", the German-made oddball variety of Syntec. A superb oil by any reasonable measure.
cheers3.gif

Thanks again. I just found the thread explaining how to tell the difference between the American and German oils. Its nice to find a forum where people are actually helpful.

Thanks for the welcome and all the input. My car never sees any track use but it gets opened up pretty often. I think I will go with the RTS or GC after my rinse. Oh and should I use the YB for the rinse or go ahead with the synthetics?

Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
Pardon my ignorance but the "GC" you refer to is the 0w30 Syntec?

My apologies, I failed to adequately answer your question in my previous response. German Castrol, or GC as we affectionately call it here IS the 0w-30 variant of Syntec. "GC" exists in no other grade. But check out the previously posted link. You have to be careful as before 2003 there was a US-made 0w-30 which was a totally different animal. Within the GC "family" there are two products. The first variant, which had a very distinctive, almost florescent green sheen/color, made from 2003 through most of 2005; and the current version, apparently every bit as good as the original, but more traditionally colored. That's the one you'll most likely find on shelves today.
cheers3.gif

I'd say Rotella T 5w40 synthetic for the winter months, and Mobil One 15w50 for the summer months...especially given your state of tune.

Originally Posted By: JoeFromPA
I'd say Rotella T 5w40 synthetic for the winter months, and Mobil One 15w50 for the summer months...especially given your state of tune.

Would the Rotella or the GC not be sufficient for the summer months?

What do you guys think should I go the GC or RTS route? I cant wait to get the whole clean and rinse cycle over to try one of these oils.

Mobil 1 0w-40. Porsche turbo (boxer) engine approved. Nissan GTR, and VW (Audi/VW turbo) approved. ACEA A3. Best off-the-shelf oil for turbo Subarus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back