Good oil for annual mileage of 6-7k in Vulcan V6

I've got a 2006 Ford Taurus SE with the 3.0L Vulcan V6. I'm currently running Havoline SB 5w20 w/ OCI of 6 months/5k miles. Last OCI, my 6 month mileage was 2,9xx miles. My oil usage was ~0.25 qts. Most of my trips are short, consisting of 3-5 miles round-trip with 20 miles round-trip 2-4 times per month, and a 60 mile round trip every 2-3 months.

I'm considering switching to 5w30 oil and doing annual oil changes (unless you guys think that's not the best idea with short trips)

For climate reference, I live in eastern Tennessee, near the Great Smoky Mountains.

What oil would be good for this type of situation?

Welcome to BITOG :)

The 20 mile trips are enough where you could go a full year/6k on any quality full synthetic oil, 5w20 or 5w30. Havoline's own full synthetic will be good, or any other synthetic oil.

I've thought about the Super Tech full synthetic high mileage. I'd be going a max of 7500 miles a year and that's probably pushing it a bit.

So you'd stick to 5w20 vs 5w30 in the Vulcan V6 for year round usage? I'm assuming because of the frequent short trips?

Note: Just rolled over to 150k on the clock. I've had the car for almost a year, and I'm not aware of any oil leaks.

Those engines take anything. In your situation I would use a good syn 5W-20. Pennzoil has a $22 rebate coming up. I found that Mobil 1 HM 5W-20 ran very well in my fathers...

Engine is not very particular, Ive run 5/20 and 5/30 in mine. It doesn't much seem to care.

A year on M1 HM EP would be no problem.

My 2002 Vulcan ran on anything on sale 5W30 ,,,,,5K oci with my daughter driving it for work and school quaker state green bottle dino was my main choice or citgo supergarrd , those engines are not picky on oil traded it off with 165K on it never ever burned a drop o oil

I also thought about just putting in a good quality synthetic like Pennzoil platinum and just ignoring the "6 month" guideline in the manual and simply running 5k OCI so long as I don't go farther than 1 year.

I am using 10w30 Rotella SB in my Ranger with the same engine on 5000 mile OCI. I will be changing to Schaeffer 5w40 when my Rotella stash is gone. These engines are in the way of an old 300 I-6 or SBC as far as oil choice. As long as it’s slick it’ll be fine.

I've got a 2006 Ford Taurus SE with the 3.0L Vulcan V6. I'm currently running Havoline SB 5w20 w/ OCI of 6 months/5k miles. Last OCI, my 6 month mileage was 2,9xx miles. My oil usage was ~0.25 qts. Most of my trips are short, consisting of 3-5 miles round-trip with 20 miles round-trip 2-4 times per month, and a 60 mile round trip every 2-3 months.

I'm considering switching to 5w30 oil and doing annual oil changes (unless you guys think that's not the best idea with short trips)

For climate reference, I live in eastern Tennessee, near the Great Smoky Mountains.

What oil would be good for this type of situation?
Good car. See my sig.

I would be picking up any SuperTech Full Synthetic in either 0W-20 or 5W-20.. if they have 0W-20 (as they usually do) then I'm getting that.

I personally wouldn't put 5W-30 in the car because the cap says it doesn't need it.

I am using 10w30 Rotella SB in my Ranger with the same engine on 5000 mile OCI. I will be changing to Schaeffer 5w40 when my Rotella stash is gone. These engines are in the way of an old 300 I-6 or SBC as far as oil choice. As long as it’s slick it’ll be fine.
I saw Shell Rotella Gas Truck Full Synthetic at Walmart. What's the difference between the Rotella Gas Truck, and your other top quality synthetics? Does it have more detergents or something? Would it be a good choice for either 5k OCI, or 6-7k / 1 year?

Good car. See my sig.

I would be picking up any SuperTech Full Synthetic in either 0W-20 or 5W-20.. if they have 0W-20 (as they usually do) then I'm getting that.

I personally wouldn't put 5W-30 in the car because the cap says it doesn't need it.
I agree, I love the Taurus so far. I have bad back problems and my old 1997 Civic just wasn't cutting it anymore when it comes to comfort. I've put a nice chunk of $$ into it, because I'd like to keep it for several years. Car has zero rust. Based on the car fax it was used by a police department in VA for the 1st 80k miles or so, most likely a detective's car just cruising around. I've put ball joints, calipers, rotors, pads, all new struts, transmission serviced, Motorcraft platinum plugs, passenger CV axle. Motor mounts bushings are starting to wear, so new motor & trans mounts, and new drums and shoes on the back are next on my list, and I should be done for a while.

Do ya think SuperTech High Mileage Synthetic would hold up good with annual changes in the 6-7k mile range w/ a Motorcraft filter?

I saw Shell Rotella Gas Truck Full Synthetic at Walmart. What's the difference between the Rotella Gas Truck, and your other top quality synthetics? Does it have more detergents or something? Would it be a good choice for either 5k OCI, or 6-7k / 1 year?
I’m honestly not sure I’m qualified to answer that. There is a thread here that covers the Gas Truck oil very extensively. The 10w30 I use is the gray bottle and is part of the traditional Rotella line.

I would probably go with Vavoline Advanced Full synthetic 0 W20 for a yearly 7000 mile. That combined with a good filter.

Back