Good oil for a 800 hp streetcar

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Rotella you're running is a good choice. I definately wouldn't run the really heavy viscosity stuff everyone is so fond of, especially in a drag-type car that never sees high oil temps. Maybe even run a "10W" Valvoline VR1. Someone mentioned Brad Penn. Maybe a good choice there.
But since you're using a leaded race fuel, do not use a synthetic. I've read many times over the years that synthetics don't like to suspend the lead solids that get past the rings and you may have deposit issues. Do a web search about it. I'm sure you'll find alot. Synthetic isn't necessary in a drag or street-strip car anyway since the oil temps never get real hot.
I've helped my friend build a super hot street Mustang with a 427c.i. Windsor with the best of everything in it (within reason.) It puts out about 640h.p. at the crank naturally aspirated and up to 240h.p. extra with the nitrous fogger set on kill. I recommended to him Valvoline VR1 multi grade and thats what he's running. I thought the "old" style ZDDP levels would be a good thing.
Keep in mind that since you're probably running an original 440 block, and maybe the crank too, that was designed with ZDDP in mind. Todays block and crank materials are made from cast iron that is far harder than they used back in "The Day" Using a high ZDDP oil could only help.

Originally Posted By: j_mac
The Rotella you're running is a good choice. I definately wouldn't run the really heavy viscosity stuff everyone is so fond of, especially in a drag-type car that never sees high oil temps.

Why don't drag cars see high oil temps? Just curious.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: j_mac
The Rotella you're running is a good choice. I definately wouldn't run the really heavy viscosity stuff everyone is so fond of, especially in a drag-type car that never sees high oil temps.

Why don't drag cars see high oil temps? Just curious.

They don't run long enough at high power to get the oil up to temperature.

A drag car runs for a matter of seconds. You might get a few minutes of total running time. Most at idle speed and a few seconds at WOT. There is no way to put any significant heat into the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back