Good oil for a 800 hp streetcar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. Over the last week I have been trying to figure out a good oil for one of our cars. Its a 71 Dodge superbee with a 440 in it. Its pretty built, running 13:1 compression, alum heads, and a large cam. Last time it was on the rollers it pulled 805.7 on the 200 shot. The car is mostly use for mild street driving with very little W/O and rpms never over 5k.

It is running a fully soild roller valvetrain so high zinc for the cam isnt a huge deal. motor is setup and does well on a 40 weight and runs right at 45psi warm, 75-80 psi at 4k. Currently its been running rotella 15W40 and has about 3000 miles on the engine. While the rotella has been doing a good job i feel there has to be a better oil out there that isnt crazy expensive that will protect this motor. While it does see the drag strip, its a maybe 4 passes a year due to having devoted drag cars.

The biggest issue I see is the high hp, the leaded fuel, and the fact that it sits 3 days+ out of the week and around 9 months in the winter due to SD winters not being the shortest. It does stay in a heated garage and sees yearly oil changes.

So in everybodys BITOG opinion what would be some good oils to run? im planning on changing the oil this weekend seeing as the current fill has seen a few carb issues and i want to get the gas out of there. Also i can post some pics if you guys would like
smile.gif

Thanks Brent

Love to see some pics!! I would try that new Amsoil Z-Rod, sounds like it is right up your alley. An engine like that you don't want to try and save $10 on oil. Talk to Pablo or check out the Amsoil website. I know there are other oils but this would be my ultimate choice.

Let me amend this a little to throw out a cheaper choice, is what you are running working? if yes stick with it or just about any other 15w40 conventional. Most 10w40's will shear quite a bit in a powerful engine like that. I would go with the Amsoil.

Last edited:
Honestly, if you're looking for good price; Rotella/Rotella T6 is hard to beat. If money isn't an issue, I would personally run Red Line oil.

Sorry the images are somewhat blurry. pics are like 6 months old and my phones camra is pretty bad. This is the main garage, we have 2 other cars stored at our shop
5d6pes.jpg

2uemq9g.jpg

w2o7yx.jpg

Current engine we are building. 572 blown megablock hemi 1600hp on e85. should have it back from the shop within 2 weeks ill post finished pics for it
smile.gif
its going in the red roadrunner

9rm8u1.jpg

Anything is going to shear to a 30 weight shortly after being in that engine... That's a lot of HP I would spend the money on the z-rod oil and perform UOA's to pinpoint a stable OCI

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Love to see some pics!! I would try that new Amsoil Z-Rod, sounds like it is right up your alley. An engine like that you don't want to try and save $10 on oil. Talk to Pablo or check out the Amsoil website. I know there are other oils but this would be my ultimate choice.

Let me amend this a little to throw out a cheaper choice, is what you are running working? if yes stick with it or just about any other 15w40 conventional. Most 10w40's will shear quite a bit in a powerful engine like that. I would go with the Amsoil.

From what i have seen with filter cuts and compression checks, the 15W40 has been working pretty good. filters have always been spotless inside and compression is stable across all cylinders. Currently amsoil is planned but we are waiting for winter before i make a big order. I just want to change this fill early due to basicly filling the engine completly full(overflowing out the carb) with gas due to a stuck float while checking fuel pressure)

Seriously though, that is out of my comfort zone but I must say Enjoy and use it in good health. I'll keep checking in to see what you finally decide on. I always liked those cars and I was around when they were new.

Last edited:
If you ever pop into the middle of nowhere, i mean northern sd, i would be more than happy to give you a ride!

Originally Posted By: Brent_G
If you ever pop into the middle of nowhere, i mean northern sd, i would be more than happy to give you a ride!

I doubt I would be there but I really appreciate the offer. Thank you very much.

Brad penn 20/50 or valvoline VR1 20/50. A synthetic oil would be a waist as the oil gets changed often in that motor so your just throwing money away with syn. What your looking for is a heavy duty oil that is made for big HP motors.

wow. nice rice! alot of the guys with older cars like that run M1 HM 10W40 around here! Hold her in the road!

Nice Mopars. I run Amsoil and they are really coming out with good new oils. You could also try their racing oils. But I would probably use the Z rod oil as well.

While the rotella has been doing a good job i feel there has to be a better oil out there that isnt crazy expensive that will protect this motor.

All the oils are getting crazy expensive. I just bought 2 quarts of Chevron 10W-40 at $4.59 EACH.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
While the rotella has been doing a good job i feel there has to be a better oil out there that isnt crazy expensive that will protect this motor.

All the oils are getting crazy expensive. I just bought 2 quarts of Chevron 10W-40 at $4.59 EACH.
shocked2.gif

Last 0W40 M1 I saw at O'rielys was 10.89$ a QUART. Lets just say ouch.

And thanks for the quick replys guys. Im going to look into everything mentioned. Also if this helps i can get shaeffers locally for a good price.

I was wondering if maybe a thin 40 might be okay? the oil pump pressure dump is at like 78psi, and after 4.5-5k rpms its right there on the gauge, so maybe a light 40 would be okay? possibly M1 0w40? just throwing out ideas

Only worry I have with a 50 is that I wonder if it would be to thick. like i said oil pressure almost pegs the gauge most of the time, unless idle

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

shocked2.gif

Last 0W40 M1 I saw at O'rielys was 10.89$ a QUART. Lets just say ouch.

And thanks for the quick replys guys. Im going to look into everything mentioned. Also if this helps i can get shaeffers locally for a good price.

I was wondering if maybe a thin 40 might be okay? the oil pump pressure dump is at like 78psi, and after 4.5-5k rpms its right there on the gauge, so maybe a light 40 would be okay? possibly M1 0w40? just throwing out ideas

If you can get your hands on Schaeffers easily I wouldn't hesitate, my search for a new oil would be over. I don't have anything running crazy horsepower, just some daily drivers that I beat on pretty hard, but they all have Schaeffer in them from bumper to bumper and I could not be happier. Top notch products that WILL let you sleep well at night!

Only worry I have with a 50 is that I wonder if it would be to thick. like i said oil pressure almost pegs the gauge most of the time, unless idle

Oil pressure gets the oil from point A to point B, but in of itself is not a
guaranty for lubrication. The oil still needs to do its job once it gets there.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back