Good oil for 2005 Honda Civic w/ D17 1.7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend of mine just picked up a 2005 Honda Civic LA with the D17 1.7 4 cylinder engine, 74,500 miles. He's not street racing or anything, and is looking to use it for a good economical commute to work. I found what looks like a leaking oil pan gasket, and the engine has no sludge, but decent varnish.

I didn't want him driving around on unknown oil and filter, so I changed it over to Valve line 5w20 Synthetic I had lying around, and a Fram ultra filter. I added 4 ounces of LC20 to the mix, and am set to make this a short OCI to let the LC20 and syn eat the varnish out. Maybe 2000 miles.

Question is, what should I put in next that will be most effective in providing a good, economical drive, and keep this engine going for as long as possible? I tried searching for UOA's on this engine, but didn't turn up anything to help as a guide.

BTW, LubriMoly MOS2 is going in with the next oil.

TIA!

maxlife 5w20, its a Honda inline 4, they are very easy on oil, run the 7500 miles suggested by Honda with oil filter changes every other oil change and the engine will clean up just fine, its just varnish, not sludge your cleaning.

I have the same car and concur with 01_celica_gt that these engines are very easy on oil. The recommendation is 5,000 mile OCI for severe conditions and 10,000 for normal. Filter change every other OCI. I had been running various synthetics for 10,000 mile OCI's since I bought the car with 26,000 miles on it until 134,000 miles, then I decided to change it up a bit.

My recent UOA's.

Honestly, use whatever oil you like, this engine won't know the difference.

Any 5w20 oil is just fine. D17 engines have a timing belt and very easy on oil.

I inherited a 2005 Civic with 30K miles and use any low cost dino oil.

Because of the filter location if the oil changer does not clean up it looks like the pan gasket is leaking on these. I would clean it up really well and recheck later to be sure the pan is in fact leaking.

Oil - pick one and go for it...

I have a 1999 Honda Civic with the D16Y7 engine, fantastic machine, very good on oil, even after 450,000km. We ran Castrol conventional for most of it's life. I am now running Asmoil OE 5w30 & EAO oil filters. Car runs fantastic still and I imagine the D17 should be as good if treated decent.

Back when the car had ~350,000km on it I ran Amsoil signature series for a couple OCI. The car had never been so smooth before that.

Personally I would run amsoil signature series and run the [censored] out of it in that car.

Yeah, the oil filter removal does leave a RIDICULOUS mess. This was exacerbated by the ADB on the old filter having hardened and become completely ineffective.

Right now, I'm pretty set on filling her with PU or SSO for the next OCI.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back