Good news for Ryobi / Homelite trimmer owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's now a kit for fixing that < wonderful > primer bulb and fuel line on their Walbro carb on their 25 and 50cc 2 -two stroke engines available at Home Depot. Given the grief this parts have given me , I figured I'd pass it along.
6.95 on the pegboard. I'll grab a SKU if I can find the receipt.
HTH
Jorge

Only problem I've had with mine over a decade and a half is the spark arrestor clogging with gummy deposits twice.

A couple minutes, a propane torch, and a toothbrush and done.

The old ones ran ok but the new ones I'll have to agree with super20dan. These are not quality units.

Granted Ryobi are marketed to joe homeowner, but I have a '96
310 bvr (new); '97 280 r (rescued from dirt floor of a shed) and a '97 766r trimmer (new), these all work perfectly since new, needing only fuel line and filter changes. The bad experiences many people have is due to improper carburetor setting, owner error with fuel / oil mix, neglect and lack of owner following maintenance directions.

The 31cc engines are really tough units, the rc airplane people love these engines for airplane duty.

Parts are easily available for these units from MTD and are inexpensive.

My only odd experience is the reed valve limit stop eventually rubs on the edge of the connecting rod big end, so that needs to be checked for clearence, a double gasket on the intake manifold solves that problem forever.

Well, it hurts me to have to throw a piece of gear out because a small part goes bad. I bought one of these at a yard sale for $10, so for $17 i have a new trimmer. As small as my yard is, dropping the coin for an Echo or Shinadawa doesn't make sense.

I felt the same way. It takes me all of 10 minutes to edge/trim my entire yard. Blowing money for an echo wasn't the best idea in my case. I purchased a Ryobi not that long ago. It's a pain to start, but other than that it works fine.

Those Ryobis (McCullough/Craftsman/MTD/YardKing/Cub Cadet, same diff) have to be started exactly the way the directions say to start them. Otherwise they're a pain. I've found 2
Weedeaters and a Homelite so far this year in the trash. Dump out the old gas, use my $9 airscrew adjustment tool to tweak it out 1/4 turn and I have another whacker to give to a neighbor.

Unfortunately for the kits you find to repair most stuff on these whackers, they are made by the same Chinese men and women who make the original parts these piece of junk whackers are assembled from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back