Good News for EV Owners: Tesla adds charging at many hotels

Ok, I was reading the story like it was supposed to be fast charging. You explained its not. that is all good.
I feel bad for the people who pull into a hotel hoping to get a spot at the chargers and they are not all full. It's still an inconvenience and will never be able to universally power American highways more than 50% and that would be a generous statement.

Since you mentioned gas stations, they are never full and a five minute stop gets you 400 miles. In all fairness if we turned that around the other way, it would sound ridiculous for example, if it took overnight to fill a gas tank and a new technology with battery powered cars were able to charge up in 5 minutes. Suggesting gasoline is still better would sound silly.

BTW- Im not against EVs, except for supporting the movement with tax dollars for a special use vehicle that the majority of people in the USA cannot use or afford. I even seriously considered one for a second car and still may one day though, I have been lately thinking a Chevy Trax for the second. Think I still may have years left on our Mazda that jsut sits in our driveway. Actually hasn't moved in 2 weeks now.
That Trax still seems hard to beat. I thought the Buick Envista was also the same platform. Considering it's a Buick if the price is similar, I wonder if the interior sees the usual Buick improvments?

Ok, I was reading the story like it was supposed to be fast charging. You explained its not. that is all good.
I feel bad for the people who pull into a hotel hoping to get a spot at the chargers and they are not all full. It's still an inconvenience and will never be able to universally power American highways more than 50% and that would be a generous statement.

Since you mentioned gas stations, they are never full and a five minute stop gets you 400 miles. In all fairness if we turned that around the other way, it would sound ridiculous for example, if it took overnight to fill a gas tank and a new technology with battery powered cars were able to charge up in 5 minutes. Suggesting gasoline is still better would sound silly.

BTW- Im not against EVs, except for supporting the movement with tax dollars for a special use vehicle that the majority of people in the USA cannot use or afford. I even seriously considered one for a second car and still may one day though, I have been lately thinking a Chevy Trax for the second. Think I still may have years left on our Mazda that jsut sits in our driveway. Actually hasn't moved in 2 weeks now.
Look, the technology for EVs and charging systems is still new, and, at least from my perspective, they are developing and expanding rapidly. In some respects I agree with you ... today. What will tomorrow bring?

That said, there are differences of opinion even among EV owners. I have a couple of friends who have been married for almost fifty years, and a couple of years ago they bought a Tesla Model X. They live in Nevada, and when they come down to the San Francisco area they stay at a Sheraton which offers complimentary overnight charging.

He says: "... they had 6 chargers (not Tesla). We were able to snag one of them one night and fully charged Xena (Model X). You sure can't beat the cost."

She says: "... Sounds good on paper, but not so much in reality. The Sheraton in Emeryville has about 6 chargers. Unless you're lucky enough to hook up during the non-peak hours, you're never going to get charged. Once a car pulls in during the evening, the charger doesn't open up until the car owner removes his/her car to check out or plays tourist the next morning. Too much demand, not enough supply. "

She is always the skeptic, and he's always the optimist. She could find a bag of $100.00 bills on the street and complain that the denominations were too large. He could find a quarter on the sidewalk and be overjoyed at his good fortune.

You can take almost any scenario and turn it one way or another. Some complain about the government subsidizing the cost of EV ownership and promoting its adoption. The government often subsidizes things to implement social change. Take the income tax code for example. By offering incentives (tax deductions, lower tax rates, etc.) the government pushes those things it wants to change or implement. Tax deductions for charitable contributions are one example. People are more inclined to give if they get something tangible in return. Mortgage interest deductions were used to stimulate home ownership. The GI Bill after WWII was used as much to help returning veterans as it was to stimulate certain parts of the economy. The list is almost endless, and it's not static. Many, if not most of the incentives, eventually benefit society as a whole. And many received resistance of some sort from certain groups upon their implementation.

I don't see too many homeowners or property owners complaining about their deductions. Landlords get their write-offs yet the renters, who are paying for the property, get nothing. Is it fair that returning vets received benefits yet "Rosie the Riveter" didn't? Could we have been victorious without the thousands of Rosies?

In every situation, there are seemingly winners and losers, yet in many instances, the benefits ultimately accrue to society as a whole. Some people don't like that the government gives tax breaks to companies that want to build a new plant or develop a new business in an area, yet there are probably as many people who are happy to have their job which was created, at least in part, by those incentives.

Yes, some, perhaps even you, can find fault with my reasoning and may complain about the process in general. But I'm the guy that's happy to find a quarter on the sidewalk.

Last edited:
OK. I can at least read a circuit diagram. My diploma (at least one, since the other doesn’t even list my major) nominally says I’m an electrical engineer, but I don’t know the first thing about wiring a breaker. I live in a world of 1s and 0s, De Morgan’s Theorem, and register-transfer level design. Which means I barely understand how electricity works. RC delays are about it.

So I suppose with those 20 amp two pole breakers, to use them for 240V requires both be wired, but they trip independently.
No. That would violate code. They have to be linked.

As someone who does power, it’s incredible to see how EE has morphed in most places from power systems to chips and computers. I suppose you got an ECE type degree (electronics and computer engineering) from a EE department…

No. That would violate code. They have to be linked.

As someone who does power, it’s incredible to see how EE has morphed in most places from power systems to chips and computers. I suppose you got an ECE type degree (electronics and computer engineering) from a EE department…

So what goes on with the dual pole breakers to used them as 240V? They had to be physically connected? I was at my parents' place and they had a couple of these (well Westinghouse with color coded levers, but they sold off the business). The 30 and 50 amp breakers were all bridged.

42237981.jpg

I do remember applying to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and getting back a letter asking if I really wanted to apply for their electrical engineering major or if I wanted electronics engineering instead. They must have had a lot of people who didn't really know the difference. I sent a reply card back that I wanted electronics.

I did my undergrad at UC Berkeley where the official title of the major was (and still is) "Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences". There were a whole bunch of different focuses including electronics (mine), power, and straight up computer science. I might have taken a couple of lower and upper division survey courses that included some power electronics, but I don't remember the first thing about it. I thought that I was going to be doing transistor-level design of digital circuits, but that later morphed into logic design (I guess what most call ASIC or system on a chip design these days).

At my graduate program, most of the classes I took were designated as both electrical engineering or computer engineering. That included classes on VLSI design, circuits and systems (I don't remember a thing about it even though I got an A), etc. So it didn't really matter if one got an electrical engineering or computer engineer degree for the most part.

So what goes on with the dual pole breakers to used them as 240V? They had to be physically connected? I was at my parents' place and they had a couple of these (well Westinghouse with color coded levers, but they sold off the business). The 30 and 50 amp breakers were all bridged.
That's a tandem breaker. It's two single pole breakers in a single width housing. They're a "kludge" used when there are not enough spaces in the load center. They are fine to use, but are not as durable/reliable as a full sized breaker. Using it for two 120V legs to create a 240V circuit would be a code violation as has been stated. The 240V rating means it can be used in countries that have native 230-240V power(not split phase). Yes, the 2 pole and 240V labeling can be confusing to those not familiar with this type of breaker.

Here's an example with different amp ratings:
br1520-1_d2425715-a62a-435d-af09-75050b029afa_540x540.jpg

Ed

I think they should throttle charge rate to very slow 4-5 miles/hr and charge more if you want the 44 miles/hr.

Same way the “free” internet is abysmal especially at night however you can pay for priority high speed.

I think they should throttle charge rate to very slow 4-5 miles/hr and charge more if you want the 44 miles/hr.

Same way the “free” internet is abysmal especially at night however you can pay for priority high speed.

That can work with Wi-Fi, but charging can be limited by parking spots.

Back