Good nav system that I can program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon - Today my Garmin GPS sent me on the last wild goose chase. Instead of taking the direct route, the piece o fertilizer sent me 50 miles out of the way. Does anyone make a nav system or Iphone app where I can select the route by clicking on it? It would be great to have this system portable, so I can move it car to car. I absolutely love. Onstar, but, I think it must be hard wired into the car.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Every time when I upload new maps on my garmin GPS device....I do a master reset (hold your finger in the lower right corner of the screen and press ON button while holding it in ON position until device asks you if you want to clear everything)

Before that you can save your favourites....or gpx tracks...etc in your BaseCamp...

Reset will clear your GPX map of data/history...if GPX map gets full...garmin doesnt have enough free space for his route carculations and starts to behave sluggish etc...

I use google maps on my iPhone and been quite happy with it . It came preloaded I believe and displays as "maps" only.. When you select a destination it typically will show a few options of routes (usually 3) that you can click on before navigating. Not sure if you can fully customize the route. I've always chosen one of the recommended routes. The other one I tried based on a recommendation was waze, but after the 2nd time it got me lost out of three tries I deleted it.

May also want to scroll through your settings on the garmin and make sure it's set to fastest route and not set to avoid highways.

Google Maps on iPhone will allow you to move the route on the screen before you start navigation to take the route that you'd like.

Just be very careful, it isn't perfect and will sometimes work in weird 3 right turns instead of 1 left turn.

Leave iPhone/Android alternatives for those who need navigation only now and then....for real navigation use devices intended for that.

What we have read/seen in that topic is just user mistake...and I am sure that we can improve his garmin expirience!

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Every time when I upload new maps on my garmin GPS device....I do a master reset (hold your finger in the lower right corner of the screen and press ON button while holding it in ON position until device asks you if you want to clear everything)

Thanks for the tip, just reset mine, it has been through many updates and gets a little screwy at times. Maybe this will help.

I am sure it will.....

After reset you will have to redo some basic settings.....like choose wich vehicle to display.....choose right english voice....choose right dash theme etc....5min job

And for those who dont want to make constant resets......you can manually clear content of Garmin/GPX map....here are your tracks....history...

But nevertheless......do a major reset from time to time (it really depends on how often do you use your GPS device)....like once or twice per year!

And your garmin stays at it was bought..... Never updated...and now you are complaining over it
smile.gif

Never models with NTU maps gets 3-4 updates/year

Older with NT maps gets 1-2/year

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldtom
Good Afternoon - Today my Garmin GPS sent me on the last wild goose chase. Instead of taking the direct route, the piece o fertilizer sent me 50 miles out of the way.
I'd never allow that to happen. Even medium distance trips are verified with a map first. The route it plots might not be the best, particularly given gridlock.

I just became a GPS user last year when I discovered a Nuvi at a garage sale for $10. First time to ever use vehicle GPS period. I do find it extemely handy for ID'ng streets with no signs in pitch dark areas. Also in unfamiliar cities.

You can view the turn list of the route it has calculated. You can also plug it in to the confuser and edit the route. I haven't done this myself yet but remember it from reading the manual.

Going 50 mi. out of your way is just nuts.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back