Good Mobil 1 Find (The Good Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week was a good week. I was looking for some oil for summer changeover for my various small engines, air cooled generator and Cushman Police Truckster. I am a bit cautious about the newer SM Mobil 1 5W30, (using Green GC now) but I jumped at the chance to buy these two that I came across:

My local Advance Auto Parts store sold me 18 qts of Mobil 1 Racing 0W30 (original version) for $4/qt on clearance. (It evidently had been sitting in their warehouse collecting dust for a few years). Zinc levels of 1400, Phosphorus of 1550 Checkmark, Checkmark!

Later, I found 8 quarts of API SL Mobil 1 10W30 at a garage sale for $2/qt. 10.0@ 100C, HT/HS of 3.17, Flashpoint of 244C (Wow). Must be PAO and not Group III, ya think?

In case anyone has not seen a Cushman Police (Metermaid) Truckster, my '94 has a 850cc, 27HP, liquid cooled, 3 cylinder, Daihatsu engine. Three speed automatic. Top speed 40 mph with governor, 65mph without. Newer versions (2000-2001) came with fuel injected Suzuki engines. I use it as a local grocery getter or to go to the local Home Depot. I get up to 40 mpg. I am going to change over to Dexron VI and a thinner 30 wt oil this summer in an attempt to get close to 50 mpg. At lot of fun at slow speeds on back roads. Mine looks like this -

http://www.nationalgolf.com/pat474.htm

$2/qt M1 10W30 is a good buy, but $4/qt M1 Racing 0W30 is not so good buy, if I was you I would ask them to reduce the clearance price down to $2-3/qt.
I don't know if you can use $10 rebate coupon that Mobil has for M1 Racing oil or not.

I got 18 qts too at AA, and they were marked 4.95, which I thought was ok but not great. Then I asked the manager, how about $3 a qt and he said, deal. I wish now I had asked for $2/qt! I have not figured out yet what to put it in. If that racing oil has decent TBN, I guess you could run it in about whatever you choose.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
I got 18 qts too at AA, and they were marked 4.95, which I thought was ok but not great. Then I asked the manager, how about $3 a qt and he said, deal. I wish now I had asked for $2/qt! I have not figured out yet what to put it in. If that racing oil has decent TBN, I guess you could run it in about whatever you choose.

TBN is 13.5. Pretty sure of it. I saw it listed somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back