Good manual for dashboard disassembly?

Hi all,

I’ve got a 2017 Nissan Frontier with 57,000 miles on it that is absolutely driving me nuts with the dash rattling. I’ve tried a few things over the last few months it sounds like it’s the front of the dash (sort of a flap) hitting the glass. I’ve tried wedges and lining what I could with insulating foam ranging from thin to thick with no avail which to me means my next step is to pull the top dash which is where my inquiry comes from. I’ve seen tons of videos on everything relating to this platform, which has been around since the the Bush administration but of course every dash removal video is just the radio and the gauge cluster.

I’ve heard pro mechanics reference a “tech manual” for pulling stuff like this apart. Anyone know if there is a manual out there (chilton, Haynes??) that includes model specific dash disassembly instructions with manufacturers specific methods? Unlike something bolted together this stuff isn’t intuitive and of course if I mess up I’ve got to look at it.

Any help would be appreciated. If you’re looking for me I’ll be at the Audi/Lexus/BMW/Acura dealer giving this stupid thing away for $0.05 just to make the rattling stop 🤣

Yes you need to get the Factory Service Manual they are expensive but you can find the publisher and order it online or sometome in yoir owner manual. You can also join a forum specific to your vehicle and sometimes people with the fsm will send you that particular proceedure. Try Helm publishing the do alot of them, just be prepared for sticker shock whe u see how much they cost.

Look at some of these, the 2014 - 2016 model may be the same or similar enough. No recommendation from me just options that may put you in the right direction. You need the Factory manual not Chiltons, etc. FSM can be on CD, pdf, dvd or book (rare these days), all will have what you are looking for.

Did you try Youtube? That's how I learned to disassemble the dash on my S70 when I needed to replace the backlights on the instrument panel. Also, the Volvo dashboards of that vintage were notorious for rattling. When I put it back together, its rattled the same. bo better, no worse.

Look at some of these, the 2014 - 2016 model may be the same or similar enough. No recommendation from me just options that may put you in the right direction. You need the Factory manual not Chiltons, etc. FSM can be on CD, pdf, dvd or book (rare these days), all will have what you are looking for.

Thank you for this, for some reason I never got notifications on this thread and didn’t realize I got some good answer, rattle persists. I actually think it may be a faulty windshield installation from safelite (it leaks a tiny bit under pressure washer in a corner) I’m going to have them fix it under warranty and see if that resolves things before I go further. As you can tell from my location a minor windshield leak isn’t a major issue so I’ve been procrastinating.

Did you try Youtube? That's how I learned to disassemble the dash on my S70 when I needed to replace the backlights on the instrument panel. Also, the Volvo dashboards of that vintage were notorious for rattling. When I put it back together, its rattled the same. bo better, no worse.
Tried YouTube interior of this model has been largely unchanged for the past 17 years but evidently the only thing people pull their dash for in this car is the radio or the plastic in front of the gauges. The section I’m looking to access apparently has never been accessed by another human being.

Factory service manuals here as well. They go up to 2016 for the Frontier, I would imagine 2017 is similar. The Interior service manual also has a whole section on squeak and rattle diagnosing.

https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals
You’re a life saver!! I owe you large volumes of beer! Thanks, printed that whole section out will go to town on the dash once I get the windshield reinstalled.

Factory service manuals here as well. They go up to 2016 for the Frontier, I would imagine 2017 is similar. The Interior service manual also has a whole section on squeak and rattle diagnosing.

https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals
That is a great resource. Have a few models on the hard drive and hope to download and save all the manuals there as I can't imagine Nissan would allow that to stay up very long.

Back