good engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
I would at least consider a GM Cobalt or Cavalier. The Ecotec engine has proven itself to be reliable so far since its introduction in 2002 and with the employee discount to the public offer you should be able to get a Cobalt for around $10,000. The Cobalt is rated for 34 mpg highway. I have a 2002 Cavalier and it gets a little better than EPA (around 32-33 mpg combined driving).

I strongly agree. You can pick up one now dirt cheap. I have 60K on my 02 now, and haven't done anything except change the oil and filter. With the Ecotec engine and cartridge filter, it is the easiest thing I have ever had. That is about all the owners' manual says to do. With all the rice stuff you would be looking at a new timing belt now. Check around on the price to replace one before you buy anything with a timing belt. It is a large, reoccurring expense. Timing chains seldom need repair. I do plan to put a couple of new tires on before fall.

It is rare to have real engine problems as one post said, before you are sick of the car. That is even with Iffy Lube using fram filters. Compare what the owners' manuals call for for servicing. A Cavalier is cheaper to buy, cheaper to keep up, and less likely to have problems if neglected. A good car for a GF.

Running 75 on the interstate, I get 34-35 mpg.

Well, I will put in a vote for the Elantra. Mine has been trouble free for my first 18,000 miles, and several forums I am on, there are no major problems with them.
Hyundai is coming out with a new Sonota (already out as an '06 model) and the Elantra will be new from the ground up in '06 as an '07 model.
The 2.0 in the current Elantra is a reliable motor, although a little lacking in power (138 hp). But my 33 mpg average makes up for that. The 5yr/60k bumper to bumper and 10 yr/ 100k powertrain is nice also. All for less than $15,000 full loaded.

quote:

Originally posted by Bryanccfshr:

quote:

Originally posted by TomH:

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
With all the rice stuff you would be looking at a new timing belt now.

Don't know where you got that info from, but it's not entirely correct. The 2.3 MZR motor in our Mazda 3 has a chain, not a belt. Not 100% sure, but I think the engines in the Corolla/Matrix/Vibe all use chains now as well. Of his listed vehicles, only the Echo and Elantra still use timing belts.

Facts like that won't get in the way of an agenda.
itschy.gif

I have no agenda. I just like my facts to be correct!
cheers.gif

I bought a eco-box in '02 and narrowed it down to echo or civic mainly because I liked honda and toyota. Ended up taking a chance and buying an accent GS, not just on price but on MY (not a magazines) drive, fit finish and percieved build quality. I've been so impressed with it I wish I'd bought two! LOL.

quote:

Don't know where you got that info from, but it's not entirely correct. The 2.3 MZR motor in our Mazda 3 has a chain, not a belt. Not 100% sure, but I think the engines in the Corolla/Matrix/Vibe all use chains now as well. Of his listed vehicles, only the Echo and Elantra still use timing belts.

quote:

Originally posted by TomH:

quote:

Facts like that won't get in the way of an agenda.
itschy.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Kelton:
The oil fanatics here could probably offer some good advice on this topic...
I'm thinking of buying my GF a new econo car:
Corolla, Echo, Elantra, Matrix, Civic.
With all of the oil analysis going on, I figure some of you have opinions on which of these sorts of cars have engines that are very solid and potentially long lived.
Most reviewers talk a lot about the cheapness of the plastics on the interior, the less-than-perfect ride, and imprecise shifters....very little is said about the durability and reliability of the car.
Any ideas?
Kelton

Don't buy her a car unless you are married!
How many 10s of thousand of men and women make this kind of financial mistake every year and end up paying for it later?

Want a quick example...10 years ago my wife put her Fiamnce on a credit card...he then went out and got himself another girlfriend on the side ...broke up with my wife ( not my wife at the time
smile.gif
) and then married the new girl ...my wife forgot that this guy was sill on the CC ...he didn't ...he charged his honeymoon up on it! ..took he 4 years to pay this A++++*** honeymoon off and keep her credit in good standing ...bottom line...if you want to buy a new car ...and let her drive it...great ...you are a very generous person ...but keep the title in your name ..that way if she leave or you do ...the car is YOURS and not hers ...and if you do marry her ...hey great ...if it makes her happy ..put the title in her name then!

Surprise her with either a new Miata (the new NC is coming this fall and you can get a great deal on the remaining NB's) or a used one. Rock solid iron block engine, manual tranny and Torsen rear end. Discs, alloy wheels and independent double wishbones all around. Enough trunk room to get by.

Oh, don't forget the dozen roses.

P.S. - I totally agree with either an econo-box or mini-mini-van for a wife (Scion Xb, Matrix, Mazda3, or perhaps the new base Jetta?).

quote:

Originally posted by Kelton:
The Vibe does sound interesting. Is it the exact same engine/transmission as the corrola?
Kelton

Yes it is. The Vibe is 100% Toyota, not just the drivetrain. When you buy replacement parts through GM, they come in an AC Delco box but the parts themselves are stamped "Toyota".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back