Good DIY forum?

Yeah this a great one but there is definitely a specialty which is good.

Garage Forums is another good one but it gets a bit troll like with no moderation....and so does this place but the mods are cool people and if you get it here you can give it back.

I have gone here for years:

I am getting tired of that place. The mods are jerks and if you say anything back the mods turn into Blue Isis mods. You can never accomplish anything technical there because if they don't know the answer they still know it all.

Where would you go for general advice...usually revolving around fixing up your house or household items?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You are here bro

I would be in favor of a house /home sub category under general off topic.. I mean we have bicycles subforum...? Not too popular

I would agree that on other trade specific forums people are very high and mighty
Hvac talk? Lol, horrible place

Last edited:
Uhmmm...that is one hell of an idea bro. I would be in favor of that too. Experts in one area tend to have knowledge in other areas even if they/we don't want to. Life isn't easy and we are often stuck doing things ourselves whether we are truly stuck or often come to the conclusion that if we want the job done right we are best off doing it ourselves. Even if my whole body aches and I can't go on I still try to if possible. I just do things more slowly now.

I haven't had the "pleasure" of HVAC talk. I can't imagine dealing with folks who are so much more enlightened than me but don't know the difference between your and you're. Not to be overly critical. I am just a regular dude. I don't pretend to be better than anyone else because it wouldn't be true. 😄 It does gets frustrating to have to tell folks what they want to hear just to get an answer.

I hope that they will consider a sub-forum here. Great idea!

I check YouTube videos for the most part to get information. Depends on what I'm doing. There are some good discussions here as well from time to time.

I do too. Without YouTube videos life would be much different and much harder. It's just that sometimes I like forums for granularities where there is no existing video or the camera angle stinks and I am not bright enough to figure it out. An example would be hey these are the 4 bolts that you put into the exhaust manifold....but oh rats I snapped one what is the thread and pitch?

Forums are good for not much more than spotty information at best. Good thing is after a while you figure out who is helpful and the other kind of characters who will do everything in their power to prove them wrong.

I am very fortunate that I learned a lot of DIY by reading, training, and hands on experience. And YouTube!! Boy yes!!

Between my service manual and a few videos I was able to calibrate and sync my throttle bodies on my Super Tenere with ease. You can also learn a lot of fantastic shortcuts and tricks to do a procedure without the cost of special tools.

For anything household I'm horrible. I'm lucky my dad, mom, and brother are not. They are my first go to then YouTube.

Forums are good for not much more than spotty information at best. Good thing is after a while you figure out who is helpful and the other kind of characters who will do everything in their power to prove them wrong.

I am very fortunate that I learned a lot of DIY by reading, training, and hands on experience. And YouTube!! Boy yes!!

Between my service manual and a few videos I was able to calibrate and sync my throttle bodies on my Super Tenere with ease. You can also learn a lot of fantastic shortcuts and tricks to do a procedure without the cost of special tools.

For anything household I'm horrible. I'm lucky my dad, mom, and brother are not. They are my first go to then YouTube.

Lol, see I have had some great experiences with forums in the past. Maybe I am spoiled. This is usually one of them. I enjoy the usually friendly argument of this weight oil is the best from one poster to another. I still walk away unconvinced at times and if I decide otherwise I can only blame myself. However, due to forums like this my disagreement won't be completely unfounded as I have gained some knowledge here.

The other is platform related:

dsmtuners.com

I miss being able to ask how many times to turn a bolt and getting answers until the subject was beat to death. The demographics changed and the availability of the vehicles dropped off in what feels like just one day.

I know what you mean about helpful folks. I guess that I could pay more attention to such characters. They are probably infamous to other posters and not in a good way.

I concur with your various resources. I have some difficulties that I chalk up to reading everything that I saw when I was young. Now I can barely pick up a manual without taking a nap for an hour. That causes friction with the RTFM/read the FAQ types. Oh well. I like to be spoon fed. I am not going to lie haha. Come on guys, you get to go to heaven by helping me!

Last edited:
I am going to start swearing profusely so that the mods can create a DIY residence forum for us. Someone please report me. Cheers.

I'm on DIYChatroom.com

A lot of knowledgeable people especially on the electrical section BUT they make fun of you if you attempt anything a licensed person should be doing and you don't know what you are doing. No one stops them. And you better not be asking questions about doing any work at anyone else's house but yours! This is a DIY site!!

Me and a few other members here are members of Garage Journal as well. They have many different topics over there like electrical and plumbing and flooring and stuff like that along with tools and fixing cars and all that.

I am going to start swearing profusely so that the mods can create a DIY residence forum for us. Someone please report me. Cheers.
That’s not a great strategy...I do hope you’re joking.

The site is primarily about oil. So, yeah the lubrication of bicycles, or firearms, or airplanes make sense as sub forums.

Those sub forums tend to get a lot of non lubrication traffic, but the organization of the site is based on oil.

A DIY sub forum is off topic, then. It’s not about oil, it’s about other stuff.

Topics like choosing wood screws, or a tablesaw, or a how-to on sistering joists or doing an electrical repair have been discussed recently, and all in the General and Off-topic section.

And I’d add that many things I’m getting ready to do for the first time ? Good chance I’m going to find a video online or a DIY e-magazine piece written on a similar subject …

With 72,000+ members here, there is a good chance that a person reading BITOG will know a bit about your DIY question. I've seen some interesting DIY questions, covering carpentry, wood finishing, electrical, plumbing, drywall, and construction, and BITOGers had some detailed, helpful answers.

With 72,000+ members here, there is a good chance that a person reading BITOG will know a bit about your DIY question. I've seen some interesting DIY questions, covering carpentry, wood finishing, electrical, plumbing, drywall, and construction, and BITOGers had some detailed, helpful answers.
I've seen some better home improvement answers on this site than on diy sites.

That’s not a great strategy...I do hope you’re joking.

The site is primarily about oil. So, yeah the lubrication of bicycles, or firearms, or airplanes make sense as sub forums.

Those sub forums tend to get a lot of non lubrication traffic, but the organization of the site is based on oil.

A DIY sub forum is off topic, then. It’s not about oil, it’s about other stuff.

Topics like choosing wood screws, or a tablesaw, or a how-to on sistering joists or doing an electrical repair have been discussed recently, and all in the General and Off-topic section.

Ahhh yes, definitely a joke. Are you trying to say that I am not funny? :)

Back