Good Deals Getting Tough to Find?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been trying to stock up a bit on the oils that I use over the past month and am frustrated by the lack of good deals to be found in my area (SE PA). I am thinking it is the combination of this metro region and the recent overall price hikes on all petroleum products. I've been to warehouse clubs, odd lot discounters, all the autoparts chains around here (Advance, AutoZone, Pep Boys, Napa) and everything in between looking for sales, discounts, or clearances, and I'm getting the impression that in this area and at this time, any decent dino that costs under 2.00/qt. is a "deal".

I am jealous of you guys on the West Coast who seem to still find good stuff like Chevron for under a buck a quart, at chains that do not have locations here like Kragens or Meijer. I think those days are over in the East, as are the dollar store oil finds (besides SF or lower API spec junk).

I should mention that I am talking of good deals WITHOUT a rebate. I don't do rebates....way too much of a hassle. How is a rebate a good deal when I have to "lay out" the money, fill out forms, peel labels, wait a couple of months for nothing to show up, make 4 or 5 calls, then wait another 3 months for $3.60 to finally show up?? I don't get it.

Anyway, the prices that I consider good deals that I have come across in the past month or so are:

Havoline @ 1.58 at Advance (forget if this required a rebate)
Chevron @ 1.59 at Natl. Auto (1.79 sale price -.20 rebate per quart)
Formula Shell @ 1.54 at B.J.'s Wholesale Club

Right now Advance has the Formula Shell for 1.38/qt AFTER a .30 per quart instant discount AND a .30 per quart rebate, which is a great deal in these parts if you're willing to do the rebate.

But, probably the best deal around here in my opinion is the Supertech at Walmart. I think it's currently 1.29 a quart and it's the ExxonMobil variety.

I wish I stocked up when you could easilly find stuff for under a buck a quart!! Oh well...

[ May 31, 2006, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: miraCRD ]

Well, we went from Havoline 5W20 SM for 1.58/qt to Adavanced Auto for the same price this week.

The deals are surely going "downhill".
shocked.gif

Cheveron Supereme at costco is 17.xx for case of 12. that comes to slightly under 1.5 a quart.

Agree with you both miraCRD and Gary. The AA Havoline @ 1.58/qt was a May only sale, no rebate. Glad I bought 2 cases. The Havo at AA here has now shot up to 2.18/qt.

$1.58 or below is now my buy price, no rebates (don't like dealing with them either). Unfortunately, I think Gary nailed it -- the paradigm for 'bargains' has shifted and any brand name dino @ or < $2/qt. is the normal 'good deal' now. I may have to begrudgingly raise my buy price depending on how the next couple of months pan out.

ST is still $1.38/qt or so at wallyworld here. They are often out of stock though.

It's even tougher to find a good deal on 5W20. I hate dealing with rebates also. I did it once on PP, and I'm glad I did. After rebate, it brought PP down to $1.69/Qt. My buy price is around ~$1.80 now. I wanted the AA Havoline deal, but my garage shelf is full, and my cars don't rack up the mileage fast enough....

For the best deals you have to do rebates or luck into a closeout deal on recent SL/SM oil.

The under a buck chevron is after rebate, the GTX for $1.19 is after rebate, maxlife is free after rebate, then you get a $5 rebate to use in the future. Rebates can be a hassle, but they do offer the best deals. You gotta hold out for closeouts if you don't want to deal with the rebates.

I agree that recently I've been noticing that the deals that stores offer on oil are getting fewer, and less generous. Canadian Tire used to be the king (as far as I know) in oil deals for DIY'ers, but now they might have one oil special a week, if that. And I have never seen a mail-in rebate for oil.

Oil up here is much more expensive than it is down there; for us, anything under $2.50/litre is a bargain. The best regular price I have ever found is Costco up here sells 5w-30 and 10W-30 Shell oil by the case of 12, and it works out to $1.83/litre! This is only about 10-20 cents more than re-refined Tech 2000 at Wal-Mart!

Believe it or not, one of the best deals for oil up here is to get it done by a discount shop or garage. I know most people here don't believe in quick-lubes, but if you have to, you can get a change for $18 - $24 anywhere from Wal-Mart to Midas; and if you look at the work order, they charge about $2.00 - $2.30/litre for the bulk oil. When you compare that to the nearly $4.00/litre you pay in stores for oil, it even makes this kind of service a bargain. Makes me not feel quite so ripped-off for having to get my oil done at a shop.....

I look at rebates as insurance for the vendor that their loss-leader oil sale won't wind up giving 40 cases to some professional garage below cost. By rationing the item to one case it cuts losses for the retailer... who hopes you'll buy floormats when you're in there.

I've had greater than 80% success with rebates, and I use them for coca cola, cordless phones at best buy... the gamut of consumerism. 100% success with online rebates like Rite-aid's program: Think unconventionally but that drugstore has occasional deals on oil.

The best deals of course are the uniquely generated coupons like the free mobil 5000 program where you have the bar coded printout from your laser printer, uniquely identifying you as yourself. Go into the retailer and use the coupon... no need to loan them money for 3 months.

One needs about a years' stash IMO, b/c closeout deals I've found have never been for the proper weight for the current weather. If I have a choice on rebate oil I get 5w30 even if I don't need it right away as most closeouts are for thicker stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by addyguy:
...Oil up here is much more expensive than it is down there;...

Not really. Once you factor in the difference between a U.S. quart and a liter, and the currency valuations, your $2.50CN for a liter of oil works out to a hair over $2.15US for a U.S. quart.

(91 U.S. cents to the Canadian dollar, and a U.S. quart equaling 0.946 L)

....only that MOST oil is not $2.50/litre - those are the deals....most regularly priced oils are in the $3.70 - $4.20 range! At those prices, you have it all over us for oil prices!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back