Good Deal on Mobil 1 Oil Filters BUT Have Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need your input relative to whether I should use older versions of Mobil 1 oil filters.

Background...
I recently bought several Mobil 1 oil filters from the Rock Auto Warehouse clearance bins.
I am concerned about the quality of these filters as they were shipped in bulk fashion without individual packing boxes and they are blue in color not the current black version.

Mobil 1 Part number M0111 Blue Color E Core Plastic Design intended use GM 3800

Mobil 1 Part number M04612 Blue Color Metal Core Design intended use Honda 3.5 L

Question....how old are these filters?
would you use the e core ?
would you use the metal core?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I could be wrong but I thinking you mean just plain Mobil filters rather than M1 as they use the prefix M1 rather than MO.

As for the filters, the M0111 would be an ecore for older GM and thus no combo valve, a plus for ecores imo. Likely fine for ~3-5k mile ocis.

The MO4612 is the shorty version (6607/14612) of the Honda spec 7317/14160/A01/02 size. It's the size application used by many quick lubes. It's Champ (Fram/Rank) made with blue button dome bypass. Again, about a 5-6k miles oci filter.

They are both really jobber tier filters. Nothing special but adequate imo for a basic conventional oci.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I could be wrong but I thinking you mean just plain Mobil filters rather than M1 as they use the prefix M1 rather than MO.

No, you are right. "MO" = jobber filter, not M1.

Yep MO is usually mileguard....frams jobber/private label...could be orange cans in disguise or the newer ones are champs..either ecore or metal tube depending on size/diameter....got any pics?

Last edited:
Using RA pic my guess standard Champ jobber tier construction similar to old Super Tech line. Using Amazon pics. And now know why OP calling them Mobil 1, because that's what RA calls them even though pic of MO111 same as Amazon. MO4612 says OOS at RA.

31ecZIDlV6L.jpg

31TBplzakfL.jpg

Thanks to all for the quick response and excellent feedback.
Looks like RA misrepresented the filters as M1 product.
I appreciate the help from all.

Originally Posted By: Va Runner
Thanks to all for the quick response and excellent feedback.
Looks like RA misrepresented the filters as M1 product.
I appreciate the help from all.

I hate to point this out, but it seems like you did not do your homework.

RA listed it under the brand "Mobil 1." They are a wholesale outfit and offer huge discounts by keeping it lean and quick. They do not have different manufacturer labels of 'Mobil' vs. 'mobil 1.' (Do a manufacturer search and see for yourself).

You may feel you were entitled to a Mobil 1 filter for $2.75, but the fact is they have the right part number there and you could have checked; saying they made a conscious misrepresentation is a bit of a stretch. Did they really lie about the vendor and part number? Did you pay a fair price for the part and have an expectation of boot-licking accuracy, sight unseen??

I don't work for them. Got no dog in this hunt. And in fact, I've had issues with parts from them in the past. But when there were real errors, RockAuto paid $160 on their dime to ship two torque converters they got wrong for me across the country. Twice. So they work [censored] hard to give us good prices, and they stand at the end of the day behind what they sell.

If you REALLY have a problem with this, take it up with them and they will make it right. I've done A LOT of business with them and there are catalog errors, but this is really not one of them from what I can see. I actually so these "MO" filters listed but it was obvious to me they were MO and not M1. So I didn't buy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back