good brand of inner tie rod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's a good brand to use for a inner tie rod for my truck? They're shot after only like 35,000 40 at most. I replaced one a couple months back now the other one is out. The shop used moog parts

Both the replacement parts were moog and both of them are shot now. I want something besides moog.

I have had good results with the inner tie rods on my Ford truck from Raybestos. Their "Professional Grade" has a lifetime warranty while their "Service Grade" has a 1 year warranty. I have one of each on my truck and I see no difference in either part. Both sides have lasted 100,000 miles with no notable degradation. Raybestos bought DANA-Spicer suspension parts several years ago and consolidated them into the Raybestos Chassis line under the parent Affinia group.

Last edited:
We use moog problem solver on our fleet and it just doesn't hold up. Steering and suspension components all come back loose and failed very prematurely, sometimes before surface rust has even formed. Granted this stuff is on fleet trucks who's drivers don't care about the vehicles and aren't held accountable, but the parts should not fail as fast as they are.

For steering parts on my own vehicles I've always gone oem. But I also get a mechanics discount so it makes the pricing almost the same as aftermarket and occasionally cheaper.

Recently bought inner tie rods for my Quest and got the Beck Arnley brand. Both were stamped 555, Made in Japan. I've read good things about these, but have no idea on long term durability. YMMV, of course.

OEM is usually best, though.

Originally Posted by 28oz
Recently bought inner tie rods for my Quest and got the Beck Arnley brand. Both were stamped 555, Made in Japan. I've read good things about these, but have no idea on long term durability. YMMV, of course.

OEM is usually best, though.
I've heard of both Napa and B/A reboxing 555 suspension parts, that is awesome.

American cars seem to be difficult to get good quality aftermarket parts for, you might have to go OEM. I would look for offroad/enthusiast level suspension parts. I've heard Dodge trucks eat front ends like crazy, and I'm sure someone is making rugged offroad parts for them somewhere in the US.

Is this Rack and Pinion type inners or standard tie rod style. If rack and pinion style try NAPA Chassis innners same as Raybestos chassis. Make sure to use the grease all over ball and socket before installing but rotating as much as possible.

I can tell you what not to buy. Mevotech. I put these inner tie rods on my Trailblazer. Fifty thousand miles later , Goodyear refused to do an alignment due to tire movement from a worn inner tie rod. I replaced them with A/C Delco.

Moog Problem Solver. Used them for 30 years for everything (including the Toyota). Sorry for those that have had trouble with them but I've had excellent results. My son was replacing tie rod ends every 6 months on his 2500 GMC. Problem Solver on there now 2 years and counting.

Originally Posted by JayhawkRoy
Find out what warranty you have with the Moogs. If lifetime warranty, get parts replaced. That way you might only pay labor.

This is a sensible first, and hopefully last, step.

Originally Posted by Donald
How about a company like AC Delco? They make parts for many cars beyond GM. Are the considered OEM for GM?

ACDelco doesn't actually make anything anymore. They are just a parts brand.

They actually have three lines:
GM Original Equipment, which is the actual OE parts
Professional, mid-grade aftermarket parts
Advantage, low-quality scrap metal

Even for a GM car, you have to make sure you're actually getting the OE parts. So make sure it says GM Original Equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back