Good auto tranny cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting a new Toyota Tacoma 4wd double cab/4wd auto. What would be the best or close to best automatic tranny cooler? I've never installed one, but think I could. Plan on installing transmission temp gauge as well.

What brand? Website/vendor?

How/where should I install temp gauge?

Thanks

I think all brands are pretty much the same. I Would definately recommend a stacked plate cooler over the normal aluminum fin style, the fins bend like foil and the stacked plates cool better...

Looking at stacked plate type...Hayden.

Do these need to be mounted anywhere in particular?

Do the lines run fron tranny to cooler and back to tranny?

I don't know much about auto's if you haven't figured that out already.

Stacked plates ones like Hayden or B&M are said to have lessen pressure drop compared to tube and fin. I have both B&M and Hayden in my cars, one each
wink.gif

The B&M and Hayden coolers are pretty much identical. One of my friends got a Hayden, and I just picked up a B&M (same price too and same GVW cooling), and you'd be hardpressed to know which one is which
smile.gif

Generally you mount the transmission cooler in front of the AC condensor, which is in front of the radiator.

Its possible to mount it behind the condensor or behind the radiator, but each step back (from the front of the car) reduces the effeciency of the cooler.

B&M states if your planning on mounting it behind the radiator, to pick a cooler a step or two above the one you were thinking of running in the front.

I just picked up a 16,000 GVW (4300 GVW is the car's max) cooler for my Mazda 6s ATX.

-

It comes with pretty much all the assorted mounting/cooling goodies you need for an install.

The usual recommended fluid path is from the tranny, to the OE radiator (cooler), to the aftermarket cooler, then back to the tranny.
This is per B&M instructions and also to keep vehicle warranty.

Scooby,
You may want to wait until you get the truck. It should come with a cooler and a transmission fluid temp gauge. I have a Tundra and haul a 5000lb trailer and have had no problems with the stock Trans cooler. No warranty problems to worry about either!

nobody is going to give you warranty trouble over a properly installed aux trans cooler. a lot of manufacturors will use an additional air/oil cooler after a water/ oil cooler in their HD cooling/towing option groups.
-Bret

If you want to save a few bucks, most older Ford trucks had a plate type cooler and you can get them at most junk yards for $5.

-t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back